When travellers plan their trip to Australia and look for tropical paradise, Queensland is the state that crops up in every search. Home to several natural wonders such as the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest and fraught with bustling coastal towns, Queensland offers every landscape for every desire.
It’s worth planning an itinerary for this state alone, starting in south-east in the laid-back Gold Coast, up for a few hikes on the Sunshine Coast, maybe a trip inland for some classic Australian outback, and then back into the tropical paradise that is far north Queensland. Whatever your itinerary, this state has some of the best beaches Australia has to offer, and here are five not to miss.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Yes, this list would not be a list without this beach as the headliner. Famed globally for its secluded white sand beach and clear water, Whitehaven Beach is just that – a white haven. It’s the true pageant contender for aesthetics, and the only way to get there is via boat. The moment you step off the gangplank and into the crystal turquoise water, the reality really hits you – this is heaven, and this is why you came to Australia. With one breath, you’ll be surrounded by gardens or coral and schools of tropical fish in the natural aquarium that is the Great Barrier Reef.
Nudey Beach, Fitzroy Island
Despite its misleading name, this beach is not actually a nudist commune. Clothes are compulsory (fact: Queensland has no legal nudist beaches). It’s a beautiful (and short, don’t worry) trek through a rainforest of canopying trees, granite rock formations and coastal woodlands to reach the island beach – so don’t forget your snorkel. The beach is fringed by reefs with marine life darting in and out of the multicoloured coral. It was once a quarantine station for Chinese gold prospectors and later, a haven for adventure travellers and boating enthusiasts. Whatever your desire, Nudey Beach won’t disappoint if you’re looking for a taste of the beauty tropical Queensland has to offer.
Basil Bay, Kenswick Island
This is the secluded paradise of your Castaway dreams – no big hotel chains, five-star resorts or boutique storefronts (sadly, no Tom Hanks either), but do not underestimate this pearl. It’s a place where reality surpasses expectations, and the beach is a two-way mirror into the marine park beneath the surface. If you’re wondering why it hasn’t cropped up on the ‘add this to your bucket list!’ promo vids on your Facebook feed, it’s because the protected waters of Basil Bay are relatively unknown to tourists, even though it’s a frequented swimming spot for locals. Go photo-crazy here; it’s certain to make you the envy of every desk-dweller on social media.
Rainbow Beach, Sunshine Coast
If you walk up the giant sand dune at the southern end of Rainbow Beach, you’ll be rewarded with spectacular views of the entire beach and more significantly, the Coloured Sands – 200 meters of multicoloured cliffs with over 72 different colours of sand. Aboriginal Dreamtime tells the legend of the Spirit of the Gods, Yiningie, who took the form of a rainbow. When he was killed in a fight over a woman, he crashed into the cliffs and his spirit coloured the sands. If you head a bit further you’ll be treated to a spectacular sunset at Carlo Sandblow, one of Queensland’s most stunning natural attractions. The unique sand mass covers over 15 hectares overlooking the Coloured Sands, with amazing views of Tin Can Bay and Double Island Point.
Four Mile Beach, Port Douglas
Port Douglas is the luxurious gem of tropical North Queensland, and Four Mile Beach is the sparkling point. Not actually four miles long (it was named after a local family with the surname Fourmile), the beach has plenty of space to feel like you’re on your own secluded paradise. There’s minimal development in the area, but the beach is patrolled by lifeguards and decked out with stinger nets, making it super safe for all swimmers. This is the best beach for long romantic walks, with the glistening shoreline leading to the reefs of Island Point and the mouth of Mowbray River.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.