The Northern Territory is not widely known as a beach destination in Australia. This is because of two deadly creatures who call the state’s ocean home: saltwater crocodiles and jellyfish (in the summer months only). Nonetheless, there are exceptions to every rule, so check out some of these amazing beaches in the Northern Territory.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Located on the isolated Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Cossies Beach was named the best beach in Australia in 2017 (and claimed the number four spot in 2018). Although the islands are closer to Indonesia than the Northern Territory, they are a part of the Lingiari electorate. Cossies Beach was recently named in honour of Australia’s Governor General, Sir Peter Cosgrove. Located on Direction Island, Cossies Beach is perfect in every way: azure and crystal clear waters, swaying palm trees, superb snorkelling just off its shore, and white sandy shores.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Although swimming at Mindil Beach is not recommended, it makes the list of best beaches because of what happens on its shores during the dry season. The Mindil Beach Sunset Markets has live entertainment and stalls selling authentic Aboriginal artwork, handmade jewellery, and unique Northern Territory souvenirs. There are also over 60 food stalls specialising in international cuisine from places such as Turkey, South America, North Africa, Greece, and Asia. But perhaps the best part about Mindil Beach is its stunning tropical sunsets. Don’t miss seeing the sky painted in golden hues here when visiting Darwin.
Wagait Beach is located a quick ferry ride from Darwin, and is a favourite weekend getaway for Northern Territory locals. This area is known as being home to some of Darwin’s finest tropical beaches. The dog-friendly and unspoiled Wagait Beach stretches for two kilometres (1.2 miles). Here you’ll find WWII gun emplacements, and spot dolphins, turtles, and manta rays from the shoreline. Other beaches near Wagait Beach include Inmaluk and Harney’s beaches; home to red volcanic cliffs and freshwater creeks. Some parts of the coastline are inaccessible Sacred Sites too, so ensure you obey all signage in the area.
Darwin Waterfront Precinct
One of the best and safest beaches in the Northern Territory is located at the Darwin Waterfront Precinct. The saltwater recreational lagoon is protected from jellyfish by stinger nets and regular monitoring by local lifeguards (although complete eradication cannot be guaranteed). The lagoon also has a sandy shore, so you wouldn’t be remiss to think you’re swimming in a calm tropical beach. The Waterfront Precinct is also home to a Wave Lagoon, which has an entrance fee but is a great family-friendly attraction in Darwin.
Galaru (East Woody Beach)
Another isolated addition, Galaru (also known as East Woody Beach) is found in northeast Arnhem Land. It’s located three kilometres (1.9 miles) from Nhulunbuy. It has a large stretch of white sandy beach, azure waters, open forest, inland waterways, and spectacular sunsets. Swimming is also not recommended at Galaru, due to saltwater crocodiles and box jellyfish. To the west, Galaru is connected to Dhamitjinya (East Woody Island) via sandbanks. This granite peak is known for its bird watching opportunities. To visit Galaru, people must first obtain a recreation permit from the Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.