Located just south west of the center of Sydney, Glebe is surrounded by harbor views as it looks over Blackwattle Bay to the east and Rozelle Bay to the west. Here are 10 of the best restaurants you should check out in this Australian suburb.
The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay
Famed for its spectacular views of the Anzac Bridge in the bay and the city rising majestically behind it, the Boathouse takes dining with a view to a whole new level. The floor-to-ceiling windows in the restaurant give you an uninterrupted waterside view as you dine. You can watch the dragon boats serenely glide along the bay. It’s not just the views that are outstanding: the food is delicious and has won this place countless awards. Local seafood is the Boathouse’s speciality, with a fantastic selection of fresh oysters everyday, ‘shucked’ to order. If it’s a special occasion, we recommend arriving in style and getting the water taxi to the restaurant.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Adopting the Greek word for ‘meeting place’, Ahgora is a fine dining Greek affair in Glebe. It’s run by Michelin-star chefs from Rockpool, brothers Jan and Marek Oravec. They serve up outstanding traditional Greek food, but with an unusual edge. The interior is understated and stylish, with vertical gardens, polished concrete floors, an intimate bar and stunning strip light arch, curving from floor to ceiling and back again. The menu matches the decor with its minimalist touch. Meanwhile, the food is packed with fantastic textures and flavor. Try the charred octopus and halloumi ravioli, or their signature dish of 16-hour braised lamb shoulder.
Glebe Point Diner
Although called a diner, Glebe Point is famed for its top-class dining. With its firmly held concept of using only freshly sourced produce, the seasonal menus have become a big favorite among the locals. Two big blackboards take center stage on the wall. The first is a daily menu of five entrees, six mains and four desserts while the second lists the provenance of the day’s produce. If it’s on the menu, try the Thirlmore duck liver pate followed by Rangers Valley beef cheek with a celeriac purée, and cannolo and dark chocolate truffle for dessert. Glebe Point Diner also has an impressive and well curated wine list which is served by the carafe or by the glass.
Na Zdrowie is the traditional toast you make in Poland before drinking beer or vodka, and it perfectly sets the tone for your experience here. This cozy, award-winning restaurant serves up some of the best Polish food you’ve ever tasted. If you’ve never tried it before, we recommend sharing a mixed plate of pierogi (Polish dumplings) and then a dish of bigos (traditional polish meat and sauerkraut stew). The four-course set menu with banquet-style entrees is fantastic value. The delicious food combined with the intimate atmosphere and the air filled with Polish music makes for an unforgettable dinner.
Alfie & Hetty
This fantastic, retro-styled restaurant is named after two of its 20th-century residents. The title of bar upstairs is inspired by the rumored gangster Alfie. Meanwhile, Hetty, the charitable local cook who was known to provide delicious roasts for under-privileged children, gives her name to the dining room. Now under the management of Parisian chef Benjamin Loiseau, the menu at Alfie & Hetty is a wonderful fusion of modern Australian and French cuisine. Hetty’s signature roasts for two are still on the menu, as are some fresh new dishes and midweek specials. Try the scallops with cauliflower puree, or the sumptuous saffron seafood chowder. With live music on Sundays, this place exudes a delightfully warm yet utterly sophisticated atmosphere.
Tom Yum Tum Gang
This no-frills mini-Thai venue, run by a husband and wife team, pulls in the crowds and it’s easy to see why. Serving 20 different types of stir-fry, six variations of curry (including house favorite beef massaman) and their popular larb (minced salad) and green papaya salads, Tom Yum Tum Gang spoils you for choice. Instead of desserts you can get a whole fresh coconut, served with a straw It’s cozy, cash only and there’s no booking but check it out if you’re in the mood for fantastic Thai food.
Himalayan Char Grill
This Nepalese establishment, with two other restaurants in nearby Mossman and Crow’s Nest, serves up food for sharing with fantastic flavors from all over Nepal. The interior is spacious and inviting, and there’s an outdoor courtyard at the back perfect for summer dining. Their generous portions are very reasonable, and the food is divine and packed with flavor. Try the house special of beef cheeks, or for the more adventurous, their secret recipe goat curry. Vegetarians won’t go hungry here either, with their delicious selection of vegetable stir-fry. Get the four-course banquet menu between four for a fantastic evening out.
41 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe NSW 2037, Australia +61 2 9552 1220
Authentic Italian restaurant Ombretta, taken over in 2013 by new owners Schiavello and Fagherazzi from the 20-year-old La Tavolaccia, has been completely renovated and given a new lease of life. Pass through the impressive iron gates, fronted by a courtyard for outdoor dining. Move into the intimately atmospheric interior with soft candle lighting, rustic decor and exposed brickwork. There are five clocks on wall, each showing the time of five different Italian towns and cities. Their blackboard menu changes daily and is always brimming with true, provincial Italian dishes. Try the delicious creamy mushroom risotto, followed by the dolce pasticera Napolitana, a ricotta cake with creme anglais.
Tommy’s Beer Café
If you are looking for great value, homely food, this Eastern European establishment will hit the spot. Centrally located among bars, shops and restaurants on the Glebe strip, Tommy’s Beer Café exudes a relaxed and casual atmosphere, with the feel of a local bar. There’s European beers on tap and bottled, and a fantastic array of their famous snacks. These include freshly baked pretzels and their shoe string pork crackling. The portions are generous and they offer daily specials. Try the shared schnitzel platter, or the Hungarian goulash, with pork knuckle and sauerkraut.
Baja Cantina and Beer Garden
This fun, vibrant, colorful Mexican restaurant is the place to hang out on hot summer nights. Listen to mellow Mexican Mariachi (folk songs) and while the night away with friends. Down jugs of sangria or shots of tequila accompanied by homemade corn chips and a choice of salsas. Eat al fresco (even on cooler evenings with outside heaters) and try their extensive menu of freshly made traditional tacos, burritos and enchiladas. Finish off with their yummy churros or decadent Mars Tart – a chocolate and caramel dessert with pieces of Mars Bar. Booking is essential as Baja Cantina is always full.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.