Hit the open road in Western Australia and you can take in the Margaret River, the country’s original goldfields and the stunning coastal highway – plus the odd kangaroo or two. From the bush to the beach and on to the outback, here are a few of Culture Trip’s favourite road trips to help you plot your perfect itinerary.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Western Australia (WA) might as well be known as the road trip state for the number of amazing routes it has to offer. Down south, there are beaches, forests, vineyards and mountains. To the east lie the Wheatbelt and the outback, dotted with ghost towns and goldmines. Up north, a whole world of adventure awaits, from pink lakes and coral reefs to rugged gorges, waterfalls and canyons. We suggest you start in Perth, the region’s capital, and go the extra mile by renting an irresistibly retro campervan to call home for your trip.
Margs, as it’s known locally, makes for an ideal weekend trip from the city. Hit the highway and head south, where you’ll be greeted by endless vineyards, lush green forests, hidden caves, great surf and pretty towns and villages. Take a trip to Boranup Forest and Hamelin Bay to see the rays before heading down to see the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse in Augusta, Australia’s most southwesterly point. If Margaret River is a little busy, check out Dunsborough or Yallingup, or head inland to Barrabup Pool for some bush camping.
The Golden Pipeline Heritage Trail
Perfect if you only have a few days, the Golden Pipeline Heritage Trail starts in Perth and ends in Kalgoorlie in the Goldfields. Running alongside the historic Golden Pipeline, there are plenty of interesting places and unique outback towns to stop at along the way, including the Super Pit in Kalgoorlie. If you have time, extend your trip to include the Golden Quest Discovery Trail to see Gwalia and Lake Ballard – and if you want to travel in style, consider renting your very own RV.
Coral Coast Highway
One of WA’s most famous road trip routes, the Coral Coast Highway takes you all the way up the west coast, from the eerie Pinnacles to the sea lions of Jurien Bay, past the pink shores of Hutt Lagoon and on to Kalbarri National Park. From there, swing by Shark Bay, Monkey Mia and Hamelin Pool to see the ancient stromatolites, before heading up to Coral Bay and Exmouth, where you can go diving with whale sharks on Ningaloo Reef and drive through the spectacular Cape Range National Park.
Albany and Esperance
Famous for the endless beaches and friendly kangaroos of Lucky Bay, Esperance is on many WA bucket lists, and for good reason. Fire up the playlist, load up the esky (cooler), maybe even hire an RV and take the long way down, stopping off in Collie, Bridgetown, Pemberton, Denmark and Albany, before deciding whether to take the coastal road past Two Peoples Bay or to head into the Stirling Ranges via Porongurup. Whatever you decide, make one last stop at Ravensthorpe to see the silo art before arriving in Esperance. When it’s time to head back, take the inland road via Wave Rock and enjoy the contrasting landscapes of the Goldfields.
Karijini National Park
With its deep red-rock gorges, hidden waterfalls and awe-inspiring landscape, it’s easy to see why Karijini is considered one of Australia’s best national parks. Just over a 14-hour drive northeast of Perth, it’s a bit of a mission to get there, but the journey along outback roads with nothing but red dirt and blue skies for miles is half the fun. When you finally arrive, cool off under Fortescue Falls or take a dip in Fern Pool, and run through ancient canyons before camping out under the stars in this huge natural playground.
Gibb River Road
Australia’s greatest four-wheel drive adventure, the 660km (410mi) unsealed Gibb River Road from Derby to Wyndham through the vast outback wilderness is arguably the best way to experience the natural treasures of the Kimberley region. Ideally, you want to spend at least a week exploring the natural infinity pools, plunging waterfalls, towering gorges, tropical oases and huge cattle stations along the road. If you don’t have your own 4×4 or campervan, not to worry – there are plenty to pick from in Perth.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.