In a bold new move, Coca-Cola have just launched a marriage of two unlikely flavours: traditional Coca-Cola and coffee. The idea is that Coca-Cola Plus Coffee No Sugar will become the alternative for that routine second coffee so many of us require in the morning. Initially trialled in Japan, it has just launched in Australia to cater to the resident coffee-lovers there. Feeling intrigued by this caffeinated beverage? Here’s everything you need to know.
Coca-Cola Plus Coffee No Sugar is a limited-edition caffeinated beverage that was launched in Japan as a trial run for the big launch in Australia at the end of September 2017. In Japan, it was sold in vending machines as regular Coca-Cola with coffee; the sugar-free version is only available in Australia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A spokeswoman for Coca-Cola explained that Coca-Cola Plus Coffee No Sugar was created with the Australian love of coffee in mind. The highly successful Coca-Cola Ginger, launched in October 2016, stemmed from market research that showed a significant number of Australians like drinking beverages with ginger in them. Australia has long been considered a nation of coffee-drinkers and Coca-Cola have decided to try and tap into this market.
Coca-Cola have described the drink as having the taste of traditional Coca-Cola, with ‘a dash of real coffee from Brazil’ and a ‘subtle caramel undertone’. The feedback from the market has been mixed. Shin Shouhin, a news site in Japan, reported that, ‘it is not a very tasty fragrance’, adding that it has a ‘curious’ and ‘strange’ aroma and the taste is like Coca-Cola with an aftertaste of coffee. ‘I didn’t think it tasted good’, reported the article, ‘but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be’.
This isn’t the first time Coca-Cola have experimented with coffee-flavoured drinks. In 2006, they launched Coca-Cola BlāK in the US and in Europe, but it was later discontinued in 2008. It was criticised for its taste that failed to balance the flavour of Coca-Cola and coffee and for its unpleasing packaging; it was also in competition with other energy drinks in the market at that time.
A can of Coca-Cola Plus Coffee No Sugar is just 190ml (6.4oz), while a regular-sized can is 355ml (12oz); it contains 14mg of caffeine per 100ml, compared to 9mg per 100ml in a regular Coca-Cola. It has fewer calories, with just 42 calories per can, compared to the 140 calories in a regular can. The amount of caffeine still doesn’t compare to a regular coffee. You would need to drink two Coca-Cola Plus Coffee No Sugars to get almost the same caffeine kick as a single-shot latte, which contains around 77mg of caffeine.
For its size, this new drink has a high quantity of caffeine, but it is far from the most caffeinated beverage on the market. A regular can of Diet Coke, for example, contains 46mg of caffeine. One of the most caffeinated drinks on the market is Jolt Cola, which is making a comeback this year. With a slogan declaring, ‘All the sugar and twice the caffeine’, it was first released in 1985 with 160mg of caffeine in a 473ml (16oz) bottle. A bottle of regular Coca-Cola of the same size contains 45mg of caffeine. It was relaunched in September this year.
The coffee flavour of the beverage was sourced from 100% Brazilian coffee beans, but there are as yet no plans for Coca-Cola Plus Coffee No Sugar to be rolled out in Brazil.
Caffeine addict? This gadget will bring you coffee in bed.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.