Fantastic firework displays, a relaxing river cruise, huge street parties, a secret garden oasis or maybe a night at the races? Perth has plenty of great ways to celebrate New Year. We take a look at some of the best.
Perth decorates its big wide skies with fireworks every New Years Eve. With so many vantage points in the metropolitan area, there’s almost no need to leave home except then you’d miss out on the festivities. Join the free events on the banks of the Swan River, Rockingham, and Mandurah at the family friendly time of 9 pm as well as at midnight.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Perfect for groups of friends and families, this car free island ensures there’s no road dramas with the roving entertainment, venue parties, face painting, fireworks and of course its charming island vibe. Native to the island is the quokka, a cute nocturnal marsupial and given their friendly nature, there’s no doubt they will be joining the party too. Popular anytime of the year, accommodation and ferry bookings always need to be made early especially during the silly season on Rottnest Island.
Cruise in the New Year
Afloat Cruises and Captain Cook Cruises ring in the new year along Perth’s waterways in style. With an open bar and perfect vantage point for the city’s fireworks, these adults only parties go all night long.
Don your flapper dress and dancing shoes for a night in the roaring ’20’s at the Novotel Swan Valley Vines Resort. Book your room in advance to give your party feet a short journey home when the lights dim. Tickets are $160 per person and accommodation packages are available.
Fun fact: Did you know Perth actor Joel Edgerton plays Tom Buchanan in Baz Luhrmann’s 2013 production of The Great Gatsby?
Smack bang in the middle of the city and with public transport within easy staggering distance, see in the New Year beneath the stars at The Aviary Perth’s rooftop bar. The event spans over two days, register early for pre-sale secrets.
Northbridge Street Party
Northbridge’s Street Party is a free event and ensures there’s plenty left in the kitty to dine and drink the night away at any of the multi-cultural restaurants and small bars. Even if you don’t book ahead at any of the venues, the party spills out onto the streets with performers, kids activities, bands and general revelry well into the wee hours. visitperthcity.com
Great your uninhibited freak on at the open-minded Northbridge Block Party on top of the Roe Street Wilson Car Park. High above the mayhem with DJ beats and local artists, it is the ultimate dance party with a line up that includes Larry Heard aka Mr Fingers and Zakia. Tickets available from Eventbrite and start at $83.55
Giddy up New Years Eve
Time to resurrect those fascinators for a flutter at Ascot Racecourse. The gates open at 9.00am and the New Years Eve festivities begin at midday either at the trackside or with a sumptuous Moet Luncheon with fashion shows and entertainment. At the day’s end the party moves onto Gloucester Park Race Course, and although there won’t be any horse races, there will be live band PROOF and plenty to gorge upon with fireworks over the Swan River. The fun returns to Ascot Racecourse on New Years day for the TABtouch Perth Cup ensuring its a New Year to remember…or forget depending on your fortitude.
Perfectly positioned for those 9 pm and midnight fireworks and with the city skyline as a spectacular backdrop, the party is just a bonus. Food trucks, DJs and all the key New Years Eve elements ensure the hordes make the most of this pop-up venue.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.