The Gold Coast is one of the most eclectic and culturally vibrant places not just in Queensland, but in the entirety of Australia.
Teeming with sprawling beaches, theme parks and stunning places to eat, all along a 66km (41mi) stretch of coastline, the Gold Coast is one of Australia’s most desirable holiday destinations. You’ll be hard pressed to see everything here in just a couple of days, but you can certainly give it a good try. Here’s the perfect itinerary for a couple of days exploring this glorious part of the world.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Begin your time in the paradisal Gold Coast by hitting Surfers Paradise, one of the most popular beaches in the area. Whether you’re a pro surfer or you prefer to lounge on the sand and people-watch, Surfers Paradise offers up ample opportunities to get your surf, sand and sea fix. Once you’ve had enough of the waves, make your way to Cafe Alfons for a healthy salad or a hearty burger, washed down with a refreshing iced coffee or smoothie.
After indulging in a scrumptious meal at Cafe Alfons, it’s time to head up the SkyPoint Observation Deck for truly unparalleled views of the Gold Coast. Situated an impressive 230m (755ft) in the air, the Observation Deck provides you with mesmerising 360-degree views of the sun, beach and city from the vantage point of the world’s tallest residential building. Alternatively, head to one of the Gold Coast’s many theme parks including Wet’N’Wild or Movie World for an afternoon of family entertainment.
If you happen to be in the Gold Coast on a Friday or Saturday night, spend your evening at the Miami Marketta which is frequented and loved by people of all ages. Here you’ll find live music, delectable street food and artisan craft beer. It’s the perfect place to unwind after a busy day exploring the north of the Gold Coast.
Your second day in the Gold Coast will begin at Plantation House Cafe for a full English breakfast or one of their fantastic vegan breakfast dishes, before making your way to Burleigh Head National Park.
The park is a prominent landmark within the Gold Coast landscape and provides ample hiking opportunities amongst its 27-hectare (67-acre) rainforest, mangroves and beaches. It’s an idyllic place for any type of traveller including families with young children and solo travellers looking for adventure.
Hiking and exploring Burleigh Head National Park will have likely worked up your appetite, so a stop over in Palm Beach at the Surf Club for lunch is a definite must-do. Tuck into a substantial portion of pancakes or French toast and quench your thirst with some rich coffee and a decadent dessert.
Appetite sated, pay a visit to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where you can spend hours cuddling koalas and admiring native Australian species such as dingos and the Tasmanian Devil. The Wildlife Sanctuary is a heritage-listed zoo and among the ultimate attractions to visit while in the beloved Gold Coast.
Watch the waves crash against the surf as the sun goes down at Snapper Rocks; one of the most naturally beautiful stretches of beach and rock surface in the Gold Coast. No trip to the Gold Coast is complete without feasting on a sizable portion of fish and chips at Get Hooked Seafoods. Huge helpings and a vast variety of freshly caught fish is enough to make you want to return to the Gold Coast again and again.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.