Cairns is one of the most visited cities in Australia every year. With 48 hours in Cairns, visitors can explore two UNESCO World Heritage Sites, sample authentic Australian cuisine, and visit the city’s best neighbouring towns. Here’s our itinerary for the best two days in Cairns, from morning to evening.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start your morning in Cairns at The Lillipad Cafe, which has been serving Cairns locals and tourists since 2003. Known for its international flavours and big portions, Lillipad Cafe is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Its extensive breakfast menu includes dishes such as a breakfast burrito, shakshuka, a Turkish breakfast, eggs Benedict, omelettes, and French toast. There are also vegetarian items, cakes and treats baked daily, and a kids’ menu that includes breakfast meals.
After breakfast, head towards the waterfront in Cairns. Go for a walk by the seaside, swim in or relax beside the Cairns Esplanade Lagoon, or do some shopping at The Pier Cairns. The city centre in Cairns is fortunately quite compact, so you can see most of the sights in one morning.
While on the waterfront, head to Salt House for lunch, with its mountain, ocean, and Trinity Inlet views. The ‘designer’s dream’ is a restaurant, bar, and pizzeria with an Argentinian wood-fired grill. Salt House’s restaurant has daily lunch specials, which include a choice of one of five dishes and a drink for $20. Items on the lunch menu include Atlantic salmon, kangaroo carpaccio, a seafood tasting plate, and kingfish ceviche. Its pizzeria serves tapas and a variety of pizzas for lunch as well.
Following lunch in Cairns, head out of the city for an afternoon of exploration. Mossman Gorge is located in the southernmost part of Daintree Rainforest, the world’s oldest continuously surviving rainforest. It’s only a 20-minute drive from Cairns, and visitors can choose between a self-guided or guided walk through the rainforest. The latter option is a Dreamtime Walk with a local indigenous guide, who will share stories about the Kuku Yalanji people’s culture and traditions.
An alternative afternoon trip from Cairns is to its northern suburb, Palm Cove. Located 30 minutes from the city, Palm Cove is known for its beautiful beach, luxury resorts, and boutique shopping strip. If that isn’t enough, another 30 minutes from Palm Cove is Port Douglas. A similar tropical town, Port Douglas is home to award-winning restaurants, excellent independent shopping on Macrossan Street, and Four Mile Beach.
In the evening, enjoy Cairns’ tropical climate on a sunset cruise. Big Cat Green Island’s sunset cruise includes a welcome drink and savoury nibbles on arrival. There’s also a combination ticket option, which includes dinner at Dundee’s Restaurant following the cruise. Otherwise, Spirit of Cairns does both sunset and dinner cruises. The dinner cruise includes entertainment and a three-course buffet menu, which features dishes made with the best regional produce.
Another nighttime option in Cairns is to visit the Night Market, which is open 365 days a year. There are stalls selling souvenirs, handmade jewellery, clothing, and more. The Night Market is also home to massage and beauty services, and a large international food court. Here you can sample Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, French and Italian cuisine.
JaffleHead is the only speciality jaffle shop in Cairns. Jaffle is an Australian term for a toasted sandwich, which is cooked using a jaffle maker. Jaffle can be filled with an assortment of meats and vegetables, but cheese is mandatory. At JaffleHead, some of their classic jaffles that are perfect for breakfast include Good Morning (poached egg, bacon, spinach, cheese, and hollandaise), and Don Juan (poached egg, chorizo, mushrooms, cheese, and dijonnaise). Their basic jaffles include combinations like tinned spaghetti and cheese, and vegemite and cheese.
Following breakfast, it’s time for another Cairns day trip. Firstly, there are several ways to experience the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns. There’s the option to do day trips to Green or Fitzroy Islands on the reef. Green Island is surrounded by fringing reef, perfect for snorkelling. Fitzroy Island is known for its beaches and azure water. Alternatively, check out Reef Experience, which do a comprehensive day tour to the Great Barrier Reef.
If you’d rather stay on dry land, head on an adventurous day trip to Kuranda instead. Reach Kuranda via the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, and return on the Kuranda Scenic Railway, which is considered one of Australia’s most unique train journeys. While in Kuranda, visit attractions like the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary, Birdworld Kuranda, or Kuranda Koala Gardens.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.