Weddings, wine and wildlife: welcome to the best hotels in the Yarra Valley, Australia.
Less than an hour’s drive from Melbourne will land you among the Yarra Valley’s sprawling vineyards, cellars and luxe day spas. This is Victoria’s oldest wine region, dating back to 1838. Its close proximity to Melbourne means it’s primed for a weekender, but spend a little longer here to take in its fine-dining options and superb national parks – and to spot a kangaroo or two hopping among the vines.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In a former Masonic lodge just off the Maroondah Highway, Tuck Inn is a lovely boutique option for those wanting to explore the Yarra Valley. Owners Ozzie and Donna have completely refurbished the B&B into four stunning self-contained apartments – our pick is the loft-style Tree Top Retreat. Sleeping just two adults each, it’s the ideal space for a romantic getaway.
Sitting neatly on a 120ha (297ac) estate, Yarra Valley Lodge is surrounded by swathes of native bush and wildlife; try to spot mobs of kangaroos on the nearby hills. It’s a design-led wonder, and the common areas are Scandi-style, with wood panelling and crisp lines, an ethos that extends to the 96 rooms and six suites. When you’re not wine tasting, have a go on the 18-hole golf course, play a spot of tennis or pamper yourself in the on-site day spa.
A very modern oasis nestled in the forested foothills of Victoria’s Great Dividing Range, the Vibe hotel group continues its Australian dominance with this Marysville outpost. Rooms are smart, with soft grey hues, blond timber panelling and pops of colour. For warmer days, the heated outdoor pool is a must (especially after a game of tennis at the on-site court). You can sample a selection of hyper-local gins, ales and ciders at the hotel’s restaurant, Radius.
Wake up to the sound of bellbirds at Nightcap at York on Lilydale, set among 4.5ha (11ac) of native bush. Rooms continue the group’s minimalist theme (expect lots of white and muted hues). Dine on classic Aussie dishes such as chicken parmigiana at the on-site pub, best accompanied by one of the local beers on tap.
Built in 1888, the stately Yarra Valley Grand is a National Trust-classified hotel. Rooms are beautifully appointed; the walls are adorned with warm hues and antiquated paintings, and there are plenty of mahogany furnishings. Opt for the three-level Tower Suite with its own rooftop, or the House, with a private outdoor pool. The in-house restaurant is peppered with pub-style favourites with a distinctly Australian twist.
Set just beside Yering Station, Victoria’s oldest winery, Chateau Yering Hotel offers a wonderfully romantic stay in the Yarra Valley. The hotel, which overlooks the river, was built by Swiss-Italian settlers in 1854, and its historic influences still show today. Each of the 32 sumptuous suites is individually decorated with antique furniture and fine art; all have large marble bathrooms (most with spa baths or claw-foot tubs) and expansive balconies from which to take in the stunning views.
Surrounded by native bush, Sanctuary House Resort Motel is just minutes from the famed Healesville Sanctuary, with plenty of native animals to see, such as kangaroos and koalas. Rooms are smart, with large windows, plush beds and timber panelling. When the heat gets a bit much, cool off in the outdoor pool before settling in for a hearty meal with local wines at the in-house restaurant.
A restaurant with rooms set in a storied inn dating back to 1863, Black Spur Inn sits in the heart of the Yarra Valley, a short drive to Gallipoli Park and the Bicentennial National Trail. Its 17 rooms are modern, with pinot-red feature walls, but it’s the food that’s the real draw here. The garden view restaurant offers local delights (the cheeseboard is a standout), best washed down with a glass of wine from one of the nearby vineyards.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.