Byron Bay isn’t just one of Australia’s top beach destinations, it’s also a hub for creatives and producers who contribute to the town’s thriving market scene. Whether you’re interested in artisan jewellery, vintage clothing, local art or picking up some homegrown vegetables, here are five Byron Bay markets you must visit during your stay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Byron Bay Markets
Also known as the Byron Bay Community Market, this vibrant gathering is one of the biggest and best in the region. The market stretches several acres along the Main Beach front, with over 300 colourful stalls. Browse for handmade crafts and jewellery, paintings, furniture, sculptures and natural products. You can also pick up some locally grown fruit and vegetables, grab some takeaway and listen to live bands and buskers. Kids will love activities such as tie dying and face painting, as well as vendors dressed in sparkly costumes. Enjoy the festival feel at Byron Bay Markets on the first Sunday of every month.
Byron Artisan/Twilight Market
Come to the Byron Bay Artisan (also known as the Twilight) Market to soak up the culture and buy some unusual souvenirs. This intimate night market is held at the Railway Park on Jonson Street in the heart of Byron Bay and specialises in top local arts and crafts. Expect all kinds of goods, including clothes, photography and homeware, set against a backdrop of Byron artists performing on a small stage. There’s plenty of food on offer, as well as Byron healers and massage therapists to keep you entertained for a few hours. What’s great about this market is that it’s held in the cooler hours of the day, from 4pm until 9pm.
Byron Farmers’ Market
Mingle with Byron Bay residents, who shop at the farmers’ market every Thursday morning for groceries, seedlings and plants. The stalls here are heaving with succulent Byron-grown goodies, be it piles of leafy greens, tropical fruit, macadamia nuts, honey or home-baked loaves of bread. There’s a real focus on seasonality and ethical shopping, with a selection of organic and free-range goods, all sourced and sold by farmers in the area. The Byron Farmers’ Market is also held at the Railway Park and features a variety of food stalls so you can snack while you shop on cakes, coffee and other treats. Don’t miss the freshly squeezed sugarcane juice.
Byron Beachside Market
Byron Beachside Market is held on the foreshore of Main Beach just four times a year. Over 200 market stalls cover half a kilometre of beach front, with products that live up to the market’s “make it, bake it or grow it” ethos. While upcoming Byron musicians busk, you can peruse stacks of locally made gifts and souvenirs, artwork and crafts, garden decorations and fashion, all created by Byron artists and designers. You’ll also find wellness services such as massages on offer alongside baked goods, coffee and smoothie stalls.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.