Alexandria has become one of the coolest suburbs in Sydney thanks to entrepreneurs who have turned this once industrial area into a hip, food-driven neighbourhood, packed with hotels to match. Here are the best budget-friendly places to stay – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Just a couple of miles south of Sydney CBD (Central Business District), the inner-city suburb of Alexandria feels a bit like New York’s Lower East Side with boutique shopping, hipster cafes and trendy restaurants and bars. With a huge boom in coffee roasters, you won’t go hungry (or uncaffeinated) in Alexandria. Plus, with Aussies being super friendly, you might just make a friend or two as you enjoy your brunch of eggs benny with a side of avo.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Veriu Green Square Hotel is perfect for modern-day nomads with an affinity for boutique living, offering a choice between contemporary designer rooms and micro-apartments. There are free-to-use LEKKER bikes for self-guided trips into Sydney, which is just 4km (2.5mi) away. But with a hotel gym and excellent shopping directly outside, why not flex your calf muscles by exploring the offerings of Alexandria? Check out Mecca for coffee and the Potting Shed for cocktails at night.
Ever wanted to live in an Aussie pub? The Erko, a drinking hole for the residents of Erskineville, is not just a great place to enjoy pub grub; it opened as a hotel in 2020. It offers great beer on tap (pick from local lagers and sought-after craft beer), while simple rooms come with a shared bathroom. At least you don’t have to travel far to your bed.
At this destination hotel for celebrities and those with deep pockets, you can choose from premium suites or go up to the indulgently spacious executive suite, which has a fully equipped kitchen and sweeping city views. The new Infinity precinct of Sydney is a short walk away, with luxury shops and fancy dining options. Back in the hotel, there’s a hi-tech gym, spa and sauna, plus a huge outdoor pool – or you can simply bake in the sun on your balcony.
Considered the hipster neighbourhood of Sydney, the bohemian suburb of Newton (next to Alexandria) is funky and fun for travellers who want to explore a different side of the city. Urban Newtown reflects the uber-cool character of the area, with edgy artwork and retro furnishings bringing a chilled vibe to the hotel. Take a drink in the lobby; trees and flowers offer a tranquil escape from the bustle outside.
A 10-minute walk from Central Station will lead you to this pet-friendly boutique, which has an unusual gimmick: your entire stay is based on your astrological sign. Start proceedings with a private consultation with an astrologist, followed by a tailor-made gastrology experience that recommends where you should eat and drink according to your star sign.
This boutique guesthouse is beautifully positioned in low-key Randwick, a leafy area in the Eastern Suburbs. Stylish rooms sleep singles to families, with access to an outdoor pool included. But it’s the location that draws guests in, with easy access to the CBD, plus the golden, family-friendly sands of nearby Coogee Beach. It’s also walking distance to the Ritz Cinema and historical precinct, the Spot, which is packed with shops and bars.
Check out more of the best places to stay in Alexandria, or have a look at the tours and excursions you can take from nearby Sydney. We’ve got you covered on the eateries – both upmarket restaurants and budget-friendly spots – and the most immersive accommodation spots, all bookable with Culture Trip.
This is an updated rewrite of an article originally by Emma Calley.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.