Wellness practices such as yoga, reiki, naturopathy, massage and healing therapies are flourishing in Sydney right now. Embracing a holistic lifestyle, one that includes diet, mental health, physical health and emotional clearing, is key to creating a life of wellness for many Sydneysiders.
Wellness is one thing that Sydney does very well. The sunshine, climate, café culture and ample opportunities to dive into the ocean to the east or the bush to the west make it a favourite destination for yogis, spiritual soul searchers and avid surfers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sydney is spoilt for choice when it comes to living well, and its inhabitants know better than anyone how to weave wellness into their daily routines.
For some, that’s a high-sweat spin class, while for others, it’s calmly meditating. For other people, it means vinyasa flow or a surf at dawn. Sydney is a unique city to live in because all these opportunities are possible.
And what’s more, with so many beaches to choose from, Sydney breeds a culture of wanting to look good. But as Leigh Hawkes of Love All Beings Reiki explains, wellness comes from within and has nothing to do with external results. And, while physical fitness is an integral element, a good diet, optimal mental health and emotional healing are also some of the important components needed to achieve wellness.
Body, mind and soul
“Australia has a rich history of healing,” Hawkes explains. “It’s important to acknowledge the traditional custodians of Sydney’s sacred land, whose practices were the epitome of wellness. Yet, most of Sydney’s wellness industry today is focussed on physical fitness via gyms and training like F45 [a high-intensity workout].”
There are a few pockets of Sydney that offer access to a more holistic mentality, though. Bondi, in particular, has become a place where wellness fans congregate. Alternatively, venture towards Newtown where wholefood and vegan eateries sit on every corner.
“When we change our beliefs to be positive, we make positive choices, which influence the world around us, which, in turn, inspires more wellness in the city,” says Hawkes. Wellness is a holistic experience, and to be entirely well, our bodies, minds and souls need to be in balance. It’s important to nourish the body with the right food, clear out old emotional baggage that weighs us down, feed the mind with topics that inspire and pass on those good vibes. If all this is for you, here’s where to go in Sydney.
With five locations around Sydney, this yoga and pilates studio lets visitors tap into their ‘om’ from a variety of different locales, from Potts Point to Kirrawee. The studios offer heated yoga classes for both beginners and the more advanced, and the same goes for reformer pilates. BodyMindLife has also recently introduced infrared saunas at its Surry Hills and Bondi locations where visitors can sweat to a meditation podcast of their choosing. Come to BodyMindLife for a lunchtime moment on the mat or a pre-swim sweat by Bondi Beach.
“Energise your body, calm your mind” is the slogan at Elixr Health Clubs. While this health club feels a little like a gym with a swimming pool and cardio and weights machines dotted around the place, its origins sit in spirituality, with its founder Richard Chew believing strongly in the power of meditation and placing emphasis on healing through fitness. There are personal trainers, yoga wall classes and barre floor classes available.
Clients come to Love All Beings Reiki for emotional clearing and healing. A session with Hawkes includes emotional and spiritual guidance where clients will be encouraged to be curious about their fears, struggles and emotional setbacks using matrix therapy techniques. Hawkes offers various holistic modalities to enable clients to tap into the clarity they need to transform their lives, reduce stress and empower themselves as they move forward. Book online to make an appointment.
A restaurant, a cinema and an ashram all sit under the Govindas masthead, but what it really offers is a place for those who want to be more mindful. Talks from all sorts of interesting people on all kinds of fascinating topics are hosted here, as well as kirtan, meditation and a medley of the latest blockbuster films shown in the cinema that boasts super-comfy loungers. Any visit to Govindas should be paired with its delicious vegetarian buffet.
Born out of a desire to create a mental health clinic where truly modern folk could feel at home, The Indigo Project is a beautifully contemporary psychology practice where expert therapists weave contemporary techniques into their therapy. The project also offers events such as Listen Up, which is a monthly mindful listening journey where attendees are gently guided through meditation between musical tracks.
Health Nuts is where people come to find absolutely any kind of supplement in Sydney. Not only is the store all about protein smoothies, açaí berries and charcoal powders but it is also filled to the ceiling with organic produce, essential oils and salt lamps. If that wasn’t enough, there’s an all-vegan café where shoppers can fill their boots on varied salads or order a delicious golden mylk latte.
An oasis in Newtown, The Buddha Bar Healing Clinic and Emporium offers all sorts of massages, including ancient stone ritual, swedish and kahuna massages. The Buddha Bar also provides alternative therapies such as acupuncture, ayurveda, energy healing, reflexology and myofascial cupping. The clinic is calming and relaxing with water features and Buddhas dotted around to guide visitors through their healing.
Eating locally has many wellness benefits. When you choose produce grown on local farms, you are eating seasonally and supporting the area’s farmers while also reducing your environmental footprint. Simply place an order and collect on Saturday morning. The reusable hessian bags are full of produce grown within hours of Sydney by independent farmers, and they often feature vegetables you’ve never heard of. It’s food for the soul and an excellent way to make a positive impact in the community.
Tabitha McIntosh’s Woollahra-based clinic offers complementary medicine and natural health in the form of naturopathy, clinical nutrition and herbal medicine. The clinic can assist with a range of disorders, anything from thyroid issues, food intolerances and food allergies to fertility. Her wellness practice places great importance on nutrition, and she uses her qualifications in medical science, medicine, naturopathy and nutrition to help clients achieve optimal health goals.
Lentil As Anything is a restaurant and community centre for those who care not just about their wellness but the wellness of others. Pay what you can for a meal here, creating an environment of inclusivity. As Shanaka Fernando, the founder of Lentil As Anything, wrote on the centre’s website: “We call ourselves a human race, but it’s not a race. It’s not a competition. I prefer the term humankind. It implies kindness. We share an affinity. There is a richness that awaits us, and it relies on our ability to embrace and be open to each other.” Everyone is welcome, so nourish the soul knowing you’ve given back to the community here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.