Whether a long-time pro or newbie on the scene, getting to grips with a new city’s surf scene can be a bit overwhelming; in a bid to break it down, here is our go-to guide to surfing in Sydney. From the best surf shops to must-know stretches of sand, check it all out here!
Originally a part of traditional Polynesian culture, surfing was brought to the continent of Australia in 1915 by Hawaiian, Duke Kahanamoku who wowed crowds in Freshwater with this alien art form (his board can be seen on display at Freshwater Surf Life Saving Club). From then on it was clear; this seaside city with waves aplenty would be the breeding ground of surfing in contemporary culture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Throughout decades Australian surf culture gained traction, producing an endless supply of notable surfers such as Stephanie Gilmore and Mick Fanning, resulting in this ancient art form becoming an intrinsic part of the Aussie lifestyle.
Sydney beaches are synonymous with surf culture and whether a local or a far off traveling tourist, names like Bondi and Coogee are forever burned in our minds. The question is which is the one to hit up? Depending on the level of expertise and the weather, swell and so on, these beaches boast different benefits.
Although the landscape of surfing is always changing, depending on a number of factors (as mentioned above), there is a general consensus that beaches for beginners include Freshwater Beach, Bondi and Manly, all of which boast a great supply of surf schools and nearby amenities, coffee shops and restaurants. For intermediate surfers, try the likes of Garie Beach in the Royal National Park, Dee Why and Cronulla; for advanced wave-riders check out Shark Island and Curl Curl Beach. Although with over 100 city beaches to choose from, the list is truly endless.
Weather plays a huge part in the quality and consistency of waves, whether they be beginner-friendly beaches or better suited for pros. Although a challenge is always good, approach water and surf safety with consideration. The Beachsafe app is a gem when it comes to navigating the surf, offering up real-time info on weather, winds as well as possible hazards. Magic Seaweed is another great tool for forecasting the surf on endless beaches across the globe, including Sydney, of course.
Always check the surf size, swell and wind conditions before heading out, and remember to respect the sea, it’s one powerful force of nature!
Endless supplies of surf stores line the shore in Sydney, an accurate representation of the inherent surf culture of this city. For boards and bits check out Coogee Surf & Co. in Coogee, Aloha Manly Style or Surf Culture at Bondi Junction.
Aloha Manly Style. 44 Pittwater Road. Manly. Australia. (02) 9977 3777
Although Sydney’s advanced surf culture is thriving, there are still heaps of beginners on the waves trying to get in on the action, as well as surf lessons aplenty. It’s a tough sport, so even if you’ve been at it for months, a few lessons may boost your surf game! Let’s Go Surfing Maroubra (also in Bondi and Byron Bay) and Manly Surf School are considered the best surf schools in the city with year round classes for all levels of surfers.
Manly Surf School. 93-95 Noth Steyne Road. Manly. Australia. (02) 9932 7000
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.