Established in 1998, the Immigration Museum showcases Australia’s 200-year-old story of immigration and poses the questions: ‘Why do people leave their countries of birth to live here? What is their experience in their new country? And how do communities adapt to new arrivals?’ In Victoria, 200 different countries and cultures are represented, 260 languages and dialects are spoken, and 135 religious faiths are followed. This diversity has contributed to Victoria’s multicultural identity.
The Immigration Museum is housed within Victoria’s Old Customs House on Flinders Street, which was ironically designed by Scottish immigrant Peter Kerr. Construction began in 1855, and after economic tumbles, the building was finally completed in 1876, becoming a fine example of Renaissance Revival architecture. The story of the Old Customs House can be traced in the permanent exhibition Customs Gallery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Journeys of a Lifetime
Set within the opulent Long Room, which features giant colonnades modelled after the Erechtheion temple in Athens, high ceilings and hand-laid tessellated tiles, Journeys of a Lifetime is one of the museum’s permanent exhibitions. The room features a 17-metre replica ship which provides visitors with an insight into the living conditions at sea faced by the many immigrants who travelled to Australia by ships between the 1840s and 1950s.
The Immigration Discovery Centre
Discover your family’s history and conduct genealogical research at the Immigration Museum’s Discovery Centre, located within the restored 19th-century vaults of Customs House. Browse the reference library and explore the online resources. Staff members are also on hand to assist with research.
The permanent exhibition Leaving Home explores the many reasons why people have migrated to Australia, whether escaping a war-torn homeland, religious persecution, political repression, or in search of adventure and opportunity. Through audio clips, film and keepsakes, Leaving Home presents the stories of immigrants and the objects they brought with them.
Immigrant Stories and Timeline
Victoria’s history is not complete without the stories of immigrants, and in the Immigrant Stories and Timeline exhibit, visitors can learn about individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds and time periods, each with their own story to tell, and with stories changing annually, there is always a new tale to discover. Currently showing are the stories of an English ornithologist, Italian textile maker, German pastry chef, Lebanese taxi drivers and a refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Not every immigrant with dreams of moving to the lucky country is fortunate enough to get in. Through photographs, historical objects, and personal stories, Getting In explores the ways in which Australia’s immigration policies have changed.
Designed by Melbourne-based artist Evangelos Sakaris, this free, public artwork is a tribute to the 7,000 people who have migrated to Victoria, with names of people from more than 90 countries inscribed on the wall. Names date from the 1800s to the present day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.