The amazing Northern Rivers region is largely untouched and has the perfect mix of rolling country hills and bustling coastal towns – not to mention the incredible waters in the form of rivers, ocean and tea tree lakes. Here are nice reasons Australia’s Northern Rivers area is unlike anywhere else in the country.
1. Modern day hippies run this place
These aren’t your typical hippies, these guys have money and no one really knows where it comes from. They are immaculately dressed in pristine yet casual linens, wear Birkenstocks, run tiny bespoke businesses and live in stunning beach shacks with white walls and jute rugs lining the floors.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
2. The country meets the ocean
We’re not sure which view is more stunning, the coast line, still unspoilt in many parts, or the lush rolling hills. Either way, within 20 minutes of each other you can visit a small country town in a lush backdrop or the bustling Byron Bay for a surf.
3. So many incredible beaches
Almost the entire coastline in Northern NSW is dotted with incredible beaches and beach towns. If you’re a local, you’ll have your favourites but some of the best are Watagos, Kingscliffe, Yamba, Evans Head and of course Byron Bay – always worth the trip.
4. The food!
Being such a beautiful part of the world, some fantastic chefs have taken to the area too. Everything from fine dining, like Fleet at Brunswick Heads, to casual brekkie at The Farm in Byron Bay can be found in the Northern Rivers.
5. Close enough but far enough away
The serenity you will feel in the Northern Rivers will make you feel like you’re in the middle of nowhere, but if you need to catch a flight or just easy access to the city, you are right near the highway to take you to the Gold Coast or Brisbane.
6. Bogan Free
Unlike almost everywhere else in the country, you’re generally safe from the loud purr of a Holden Commodore revving its engine. Unless they’re passing through on the way to the ‘Goldie’ of course.
7. The best weather
Just a few hours north and you’re in south east queensland where it’s hot all year round, and a few hours south you’ve got long, cold winters (although the summers make up for them). The Northern Rivers region is the best of both worlds, with all four seasons – beautiful in their own right.
8. Crystal clear waters without the danger factor
The sparkling waters of the Northern Territory, North Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia are like none other but they do come with their fair share of risks – sharks, crocs, stingers etc. Unless signed, you’re generally safe to swim in the crystal waters of the Northern Rivers region, whether it be creeks, rivers, the ocean or lakes.
9. The small towns
The towns spread throughout this region are so unique – every one is cuter than the last, with fantastic food and boutique options like Yoli and Otis and Little Winnie (where all the pristine linens come from). So much character in one small(ish) area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.