With crystal blue waters surrounding impressive city skylines, beaches and islands, ferries are the most-popular way to navigate Sydney’s waterways. Running at length between all major tourist destinations, and a regular means of transport for locals, it comes as no surprise that some of the most spectacular views of the city have been captured aboard Sydney ferries. Here are the top 15.
From this angle, the intricacy of the stunning Sydney Opera House designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon is exposed; step things up a notch by taking in the view from a Sydney ferry to see the design in its full glory.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Capture the sun setting over the city from the sanctuary of a Sydney ferry. Even if its just to ride there and back; it sure is worth it for the view at dusk.
Take in the impressive beauty of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, one of the continent’s most notable structures at leisure from a Sydney ferry. Even if it’s just jumping the water to Taronga Zoo, views aboard are better than any other place.
Take in Sydney Harbour’s larger tenants aboard a Sydney ferry as they dock in one of the world’s most recognised harbours.
Lap up warm summer hues of pink and marmalade as the sun sets aboard a Sydney ferry. Hate to admit it, but this will be the appropriate time to use that Instagram hashtag #nofilter that has been infamous on social media.
Catch a panoramic shot of the Sydney city skyline at ease, with ferries making waves in the waterways from dawn until dusk.
Against the backdrop of the setting sun, catch the silhouette of Sydney city, a breathtaking photo op for tourists and locals alike.
Approach the spectacular Sydney amusement park, Luna Park on a ferry right from Circular Quay. It’s one sure way to build the excitement!
Sail into serenity catching colourful sun-setting skies on a Sydney ferry; although these are valid modes of transport to and from suburbs, going along for the ride seems just as fitting when the backdrop looks like this.
See this world-class concert hall against a canvas of pinks and orange as the sun sets in Sydney. Hop on a Sydney ferry to make the experience all the more memorable!
Make a day trip all the more adventurous with a ride aboard a Sydney ferry, they’re not just cost-effective and fast, but they boast some of most stunning scenery the city has to offer.
Get lost in a kaleidoscope of colours from blue and red to pink and yellow, making this stunning city even more memorable from the deck of a ferry.
Take in Sydney’s Central Business District and larger cruise ships which dock in the harbour aboard a Sydney ferry for a stunning photo op from a new perspective.
Relish the beauty of the Sydney Opera House and surrounding city skyline as the sun sets aboard a Sydney Ferry.
Say goodnight to Sydney as the sun sets on one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.