Australia’s most populous state is also the country’s most diverse, from sparkling Sydney and Bohemian Byron Bay to scenic snowfields and rugged outback towns. Still not convinced? Here are 11 irresistible reasons to visit NSW.
One word: Sydney
The NSW capital is Australia’s biggest drawcard, attracting millions of visitors every year to gawk at its glittering harbour and waterfront landmarks like the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. With almost six million inhabitants, Sydney is a truly global city, boasting museums, beaches, galleries, hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars and attractions that befit its mighty reputation.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Three words: everything outside Sydney
Don’t limit your NSW visit to the Harbour City, with a long list of destinations to see in the rest of the state. Hippie haven Byron Bay, up-and-coming Newcastle, the genteel Southern Highlands, the pristine Blue Mountains, serene seaside regions South Coast and Central Coast, wine regions like the Hunter Valley and Orange, historic outback towns like Broken Hill and Tamworth – reckon you can squeeze all that into an itinerary?
The history is long
NSW was the first part of Australia to be colonised by the British in the late 18th century, and there are captivating convict sites to be seen in cities like Sydney and Newcastle. The Indigenous history, of course, stretches back much further — Aboriginal groups have inhabited the area for more than 60,000 years, which is spectacularly on display at places like Lake Mungo and the Worimi Conservation Lands.
The beaches are beautiful
Sydney’s beaches — Bondi, Manly, Coogee, Cronulla, Bronte, Watsons Bay, Balmoral, the list goes on — are renowned around the world, but the spectacular strips of sand don’t end there. From the whale-watching hub of Eden near the Victorian border all the way north to the Tweed on Queensland’s doorstep, the NSW coast is blessed with beautiful beaches the whole way.
The weather is amazing
NSW enjoys Goldilocks weather: not too hot, not too cold, but just right. Sydney is pretty much bang on perfect with average highs of 26°C in summer and lows of 17°C in winter, while the rest of the country either swelters or shivers. Yamba, an idyllic surf town in the north of the state, has even been crowned the best climate on Earth by scientists at Stanford University and the CSIRO.
The coffee is just as good as Melbourne’s
Victorians are obsessed with their cafe culture but those in the know will confirm that Sydney’s specialty coffee scene is every bit as good. Neighbourhoods like Surry Hills and Marrickville in the NSW capital are brimming with brilliantly brewed beans, while the old mining port of Newcastle two hours up the road has enjoyed a cultural renaissance in recent years on the back of its cutting-edge cafes.
And so is the sport
If Victorians aren’t nattering about coffee, they’re bragging about how Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia. Well, NSW has plenty to say about that — the state is the heartland of Australian cricket, rugby, tennis and netball, contains two AFL clubs that routinely flog the Vics at their own game, is home to 10 of the 16 NRL sides and four of the 10 A-League football clubs, and hosts Australia’s flagship motorsport (Bathurst 1000) and sailing (Sydney to Hobart) events. Visit the gorgeous Sydney Cricket Ground or the modern Sydney Olympic Park for a taste.
The wildlife is everywhere
NSW is a veritable smorgasbord of animal experiences. Spot dolphins in Port Stephens, watch whales in Coffs Harbour, catch kangaroos at Pebbly Beach on the South Coast, see the dazzling array of birds on Lord Howe Island, admire local and exotic animals at Taronga Zoo on Sydney Harbour and the open-range nature reserve in Dubbo in the west of the state.
The pubs are the best in Australia
Puritanical lock-out laws have crippled NSW’s nightclubs but pub culture is still thriving throughout the state. Sydney’s diverse neighbourhoods are particularly well populated with great watering holes, from the small bars of Darlinghurst and the upmarket bars of the Eastern Suburbs, to the sun-drenched beer gardens of the inner-west and the craft breweries of the Northern Beaches.
The cultural calendar is crowded with events
You’ll never be short of something to see or do when you visit NSW, with the calendar peppered with festivals 12 months of the year. Highlights include Sydney’s Mardi Gras in March, the Vivid Sydney light festival in May and June, Splendour in the Grass each July in Byron, the Broken Heel Festival and the Deni Ute Muster in the bush each September, Sculpture by the Sea at Bondi in Spring and even the Parkes Elvis Festival every summer.
The diversity is eye-opening
No other state in Australia offers the variety of landscapes and experiences that NSW does. Nowhere else contains the ski fields of the Snowy Mountains alongside the white sand of Hyams Beach, the red dust of the Outback and the turquoise ocean pools of Bondi, the untouched forest of the Blue Mountains and the tumbling green vineyards of the Hunter – all within its state borders. Surely that’s worth a visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.