With not many big cities and lots of land, Wisconsin does outdoor activities right. Wausau, surrounded by parks and placed right next to one of the highest mountains in Wisconsin, is a prime spot for just that. With a full four seasons, almost any outdoor activity can be enjoyed in Wausau, so here are the best ones.
Some may not know this, but fishing is a year-round activity. BlueGill Bay Park provides access to Lake Wausau with boat launch options and piers, both usable for fishing as well as ice fishing. Riverside Rentals in nearby Schofield is located right next to Wisconsin and Eau Claire rivers – and their bait shop is there for a reason! Finally, Wisconsin Angling Adventures, also in Schofield, is run by a seasoned fishing expert who guides patrons through stunning views to their fishing dreams-come-true.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
BlueBill Bay Park, 3800 Bluegill Ave, Wausau, WI, USA, +1 715 261 1550
Riverside Rentals, 725 Grand Avenue Schofield, WI, USA, +1 715 574 1771
During winter, the Wausau area has a lot more to offer in outdoor activities than just ice fishing. In fact, it’s one of the best areas in Wisconsin for winter sports. Skiing and snowboarding are available at the nearby Granite Peak on Rib Mountain. The numerous nearby parks provide trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, while Sylvan Hill Park is known state-wide for its tubing. Kronenwetter Forest even has trails specifically for snowmobiling for those who like some motorized speed in the snow.
Granite Peak, 3605 N Mountain Rd, Wausau, WI, USA, +1 715 845 2846
Sylvan Hill Park, 1329 Sylvan St, Wausau, WI, USA, +1 715 261 1550
Kronenwetter Forest, Martin Rd, Kronenwetter, WI, USA, +1 715 261 1550
With all the parks nearby, it’s not hard to find beautiful cycling options – regardless of the season or your preferred challenge level. Big Eau Pleine County Park has 12 miles of trails for biking and over 17 miles of trails for snow biking! At just under 5k acres, Nine Mile County Forest offers 10 miles (despite what the forest title otherwise implies) of mountain biking trails. Then there’s Sunny Vale County Park Trail with seven miles of trails for fat tire biking.
When it comes to outdoor water activities, Wausau has an impressive array of options. Starting simply, the Rothschild-Schofield Aquatic Center offers swimming, water slides, and water aerobics. Going a little deeper, Klein Scuba offers scuba diving classes and certifications. Divepoint Paddle and Adventure Center offers classes and certification for both scuba diving and kayaking. Kayaking and canoeing are actually quite popular in the Wausau area due to the internationally recognized course at Whitewater Park in Wausau. Less experienced kayakers don’t need to feel excluded though; Whitewater Park is used for both competition and recreation.
Klein Scuba, 2210 N 14th Ave, Wausau, WI, USA, +1 715 675 6722
Divepoint Scuba Paddle & Adventure Center, 106 E Wausau Ave, Wausau, WI, USA, +1 715 845 3483
Wausau Whitewater Park, 200 River Dr, Wausau, WI, USA, +1 715 203 1279
Wausau is filled with parks and gardens, all offering fantastic trails with wildlife and stunning scenery. There are trails on mountains, on islands, and in forests. Starting with some of the milder walks, Willow Spring Garden and Monk Botanical Gardens would be more for the sights – though they also make a great excuse for some exercise. The Isle of Ferns is a little island that has caught the attention of hikers and wedding planners alike. Marathon Park is the extensive park named after its county and is used for running trails as well as events such as state fairs. Rib Mountain State Park and Nine Mile Forest are natural treasures in the area, ripe with hiking trails and other outdoor activity opportunities. Finally, there’s Mountain-Bay State Trail, extending from Rib Mountain to Green Bay. Attempt this 83-mile long trail, if you dare!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.