A family vacation to Lake Geneva doesn’t need to sink your budget. This resort town, an hour west of Lake Michigan, may have Gilded Age mansions owned by some of the wealthiest business people in Chicago, but that doesn’t mean you can’t rub two nickels together and create an unforgettable holiday. Save a few pence for kayak rentals, souvenirs and an extra pint by staying at one of these cheap hotels in Lake Geneva – bookable on Culture Trip.
Whether you’re the kind of traveler who needs a pull-out couch for the kids or a two-person whirlpool for the spouse, Sky Lodge Inn & Suites has you covered for budget prices. Watch the boats sail nearby at the Lake Delavan Community Park, and take a drive down to Geneva Lake for ice cream at the Frosty Moose or frothy brews at Harpoon Willie’s. Nail a hat-trick and hit up the Mars Resort on Lake Como for old-school barbecue on the water.
Comfort Suites doubles your lakeside fun for half the price. The affordable guest rooms at this cheap hotel in Lake Geneva are close to the lake and even closer to local entertainment, activities and parks. Fast food joints surround the hotel – and where better to eat an affordable meal than at a picnic table in the quiet Congdon Gardens? This neighboring park has trails and fishing spots that make for a few fun (and free) hours.
Your budget won’t get washed away at Hampton Inn, seated right along the confluence of the Fox and White rivers. This Burlington hotel is only twenty minutes from Geneva Lake, granting you fast access to the banks of the lake without breaking the bank. Breakfast, in-room workspaces and an indoor pool are all included in the bill. Cafes and mom-and-pops line the neighborhood to help you rein in your budget even more. And the riverside views from the hotel? Always complimentary.
Worried that a holiday to the Ice Castles might freeze your bank account? Thaw those thoughts by staying at the Holiday Inn Express. This cheap hotel near Lake Geneva is located in Elkhorn, within a ten-minute drive of the Ice Castles. Return from the crystal palaces and take a dip in the heated indoor pool to warm up. You’ll be surprised how much you’ll save with their free breakfast buffets and all-day coffee.
Comfort Suites once again will keep your wallet cozy, this time a little closer to Geneva Lake. Its clutch location on Main Street means you can save a few gallons of gas by flip-flopping your way 1mi (1.6km) to the lakefront. On a rainy day, send the kids down to the indoor pool and get comfortable with your partner inside your two-person hot tub. Just make sure they throw the Do Not Disturb tag on the door when they leave.
Need a Lake Geneva hotel with an outdoor pool? You can live that luxurious lifestyle, without the high property taxes, at Geneva Wells Motel. If their king rooms with kitchenettes don’t leave you with enough space, feel free to stretch your legs across their three-acres of green space. We doubt you’ll spend much time at the Geneva Wells Motel, though; when you’re not hanging by the pool in the summer, you’ll likely be exploring Big Foot Beach State Park, only ten minutes away.
We won’t tell you how to spend your time or your budget at Fairfield Inn & Suites. We will, however, let you know that golfing, boating, ziplining and skiing are all within a 4mi (6.4km) drive of this cheap hotel in Lake Geneva. The free breakfast will leave a few extra pennies in your pocket, while the grocery store next door will give you plenty of use for the money-saving microwave and mini fridge in your room.
You’ll be blown away by the resort-like amenities at the budget-friendly Ridge Hotel. Boasting both indoor and outdoor pools, you and the fam will also have access to a sauna, steam room, hot tub and 24-hour fitness center. Natural trails throughout the property are ready to hike during any season, while your kids will love the ice skating rink in the colder months. Add a cafe, two restaurants, and a biergarten, and you’re looking at an amazing stay for an ace of a price.
For something a little more special, discover our guide to the best hotels with pools in Lake Geneva. Or, are you taking the whole family on vacation? Check into one of Lake Geneva’s best pet-friendly hotels – bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.