To appreciate and understand our present, it’s necessary to look to our past. Wisconsin has a rich and varied history, and these sites illustrate how this great state was founded and how it evolved from its origins to now. From Native American villages to pioneer cabins, historical Wisconsin has much to explore, and we’ve laid out the top spots for you here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Aztalan State Park
A fascinating archaeological site found between Lake Mills and Johnson Creek, Aztalan contains the ruins and artifacts of an ancient village that thrived on this spot between 1000 and 1300. Then it was mysteriously abandoned, and no one knows why. You can view the bones and left-behind possessions of the hundreds of people who lived here, and learn about their lives and how they thrived. Rediscovered in 1836, it became a National Historic Landmark in 1964.
Circus World Museum
This museum contains the largest collection of antique circus wagons in the world, more than 200 in all, along with circus posters, handbills, and costumes. If you’ve ever dreamed of running away to join the circus, you’ll love it here. The library contains archives of America’s circus history. These 50 acres (20ha) are so blessed with circus information because they were the original winter quarters of the Ringling Bros. Circus. If you come here in the summer, you might even catch a live performance.
Forest Home Cemetery
This 200-acre (81ha) cemetery is the final resting place of many of Wisconsin’s great and good, including five former governors, beer barons Joseph Schlitz and Frederick Pabst, and actors Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne. While you can take one of the nine tours offered here, you can also explore on your own using a map that marks the gravestones and memorials of those at rest in Forest Home Cemetery. Inside, you can view the Hall of History, which has displays about the accomplishments of people buried here.
Fort Crawford Military Hospital
Ever been curious about how the pioneers practiced medicine? Look no further. This site opened its first hospital in 1831, and it’s still teaching people about how to fix their bodies and cure diseases today. It also tells the stories of the people who worked here. With displays including a recreated doctor’s office from 1850, a dental office from 1900, dioramas about progress in surgical techniques, and displays about leeches, the iron lung, and other medical instruments, you’ll leave feeling inspired and well-informed.
Laura Ingalls Wilder Cabin
Who doesn’t love Little House on the Prairie (1935)? This simple cabin stands in the spot where author and educator Laura Ingalls Wilder was born. She spent her whole life teaching others about pioneer life, and her legacy lives on today. Her book Little House in the Big Woods (1932) was set in this part of the country in 1870, and every fall the people of the nearby town still celebrate her contribution with craft demonstrations, fiddling concerts, and Laura look-alike contests.
Old World Wisconsin
Speaking of pioneer life, Old World Wisconsin comprises more than 60 historic structures that were dismantled, moved and reassembled to create this working pioneer community. Open since 1976 as a way to celebrate America’s 200th birthday, it acts as a living tribute to the past. Here, butter is churned by hand, a blacksmith pounds an anvil, and teams of horses and oxen till the fields to plant crops. All the buildings are typical of the pioneer era, including the Harmony Town Hall for politics and debate and the Caldwell Farmers’ Club Hall for dances and festivals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.