Discover the booming foodie scene in Washington state’s most populous city – and find out which businesses are cooking up a storm on the West Coast. From honey-glazed, fried-chicken-stuffed biscuits to eggy breakfast buns named after iconic women – you certainly won’t go hungry in Seattle.
When it comes to street food, nowhere does it better than Seattle. From Beacon Hill and Ballard to Capitol Hill, you’ll find vendors on every corner whipping up the best bites this side of Washington. Here’s the lowdown on where you can find the best street-food vendors in the Emerald City.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where Ya At Matt
If you consider yourself a foodie then you can’t visit Seattle without stopping by Where Ya At Matt. Owner Matt grew up in New Orleans before later settling on the West Coast. Thankfully for Seattle, he brought a slice of New Orleans with him and has been serving up a menu of Creole soul food in the Pacific Northwest ever since. Expect a menu jam-packed with the likes of jambalaya, po’ boys, gumbo, beignets and more. But try the Creole pork po’ boy topped with granny smith apple slaw, caramelized onions and cilantro purée if you really want your socks knocked off. Be sure to finish with a slice of warm homemade pecan pie. Thank us later.
If you’re unfamiliar with gyros, look no further than Theo’s Gyros for a delicious education. These wraps are made from meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, and although quintessentially Greek, have been given a sumptuous Seattle twist. The roasted lamb gyro is a local favorite and comes with mixed greens, onions and roma tomatoes topped with house-made tzatziki, a few fries and a Greek-style pico salsa. The food truck is a regular visitor to the Westlake Food Truck Pod at Westlake Park and tours around other top truck-stop pods.
Sunny Up Seattle
Egg is the name of the game at Sunny Up Seattle, where they really know how to turn the breakfast game up a notch. It’s run by two badass women, Ande Janousek and Tara Zumpano, who have aptly named their sandwiches after renowned women of power. You’ll find the likes of the Sausage Patti Smith, a Nina Smoked Salmone, or a Frida Avokahlo on the menu, but make sure to ask for your sandwich stuffed if you want it topped with a crispy hash brown.
314 Pie Seattle
You’re most likely to find 314 Pie Seattle parked at a Seattle farmer’s market somewhere, or cruising the city streets in their signature blue truck. But the real treat here is the ingredients they use; the fillings for these butter crust pies are sourced as close to home as possible, all with ethical practices kept front of mind. You can take away frozen pies to cook at home or, if you can’t wait that long, take a ready one to go. The Pacific Northwest-raised beef braised in red wine with roasted mushrooms, Tillamook County cheddar and caramelized onions is a firm favorite. Or if you’re vegetarian, opt for the wild Washington mushroom pie stuffed with potatoes, leeks and a dash of brandy. They even serve sweet pies here; the butterscotch pecan or vegan nutty carmelita would be our pick.
It’s West Africa meets West America at family-run food truck BlackStar Kebabs. It all started in the kitchen for this family, where food was made with love before they decided to pursue their dream of opening a food truck to bring the delicious taste of Ghana to the busy streets of Seattle. Traditional family recipes are at the heart of everything they serve; marinated charred chicken, beef, lamb or shrimp kebabs are generously seasoned with punchy Ghanaian spices and the popular jollof rice is best served with a side of sweet red plantains.
Launched in 2013, BeanFish is an authentic Japanese comfort-food truck and pioneer of mobile taiyaki food in the USA. Taiyaki are Japanese cakes or waffles in the shape of a tai (red seabream) typically filled with a sweet red bean paste. Suddenly the name BeanFish makes sense. But the team of culinary innovators behind BeanFish has gone a step further, serving taiyaki with sweet and savory fillings and naming them after American pop culture icons. The Elvis, for example, is filled with peanut butter and bananas and the Colonel Custard with, you guessed it, smooth vanilla custard. The mmmBacon is surely the showstopper though, filled with bacon, egg, tater tots and cheese. BeanFish serves the greater Seattle area and is a regular at major food festivals and food truck pods.
14 Hands does things differently. We honor the past, but we’re passionate about trying new things. And that means making wine that is flavor first, and everything else second. Discover wines unbound by rules or convention at your local retailer today. ©2021 14 Hands Winery, Prosser WA.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.