The fourth most populous city in Virginia, Richmond has a rich cultural and historical heritage, which goes back to the Powhatan Confederacy and colonists from the first British settlement in the Americas, Jamestown. Today Richmond has a rich cultural and culinary offering, with a number of all-American and international dining venues on offer. Here is our guide to eating out in Richmond, complete with 10 of the best restaurants in the city.
Located in Richmond’s oldest neighbourhood in a restored apothecary, The Roosevelt offers a rustic dining environment, along with a cuisine that is distinctively not local to the area. The chefs prefer flavours more commonly found in the South, including spicy chicken delicacies. The Roosevelt first opened in 2011 and has received rave reviews and gained numerous awards since. The Roosevelt completes a trio of successful culinary ventures for owner Kendra Feather, following the success of Ipanema Cafe (1998) and Garnett’s Cafe (2009).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Boathouse At Rocketts Landing
This steak and seafood restaurant is beautifully situated on the majestic James River. The Boathouse offers a diverse selection of modern American cuisine, including seafood and vegetarian dishes, with an accompanying wine bar. This unusual dining experience is well worth the visit, and not just for its award-winning food. The Boathouse is situated on the top floor of a recently restored power station, offering stunning views of the city and river. The station previously supplied electricity to Richmond’s trolley car fleet. While seafood lovers will instantly enjoy what’s on offer, diners should not miss out on the restaurant’s stone oven flatbreads, which have given national recognition to The Boathouse.
This Vietnamese restaurant offers delicious Asian cuisine, but a special mention must also be given to its vast collection of beer. Winning first place in the Great America Beer Bar Craft Beer Contest, Mekong has built up a reputation for being one of the best beer bars in Virginia. The menu offers a fine selection of Vietnamese cuisine covering appetisers, soup, salad, grilled platters, and several noodle and rice dishes, served with a selection of meats and vegetables. Mekong hosts regular events, usually beer-related, and often showcases the latest beer-on-tap releases, but it also has a hand in cultural events happening in the local community. They couldn’t say it better themselves: ‘Mekong is for beer lovers’.
For steak lovers, Hondos puts the prime in steak. This restaurant leads the way for steaks and chops and also provides a succulent selection of seafood dishes. The venue is perfect for romantic evenings, and for bigger groups, but an intimate meal in sophisticated surroundings is on offer for all. The menu includes a wide selection of cuts, including cowboy cut ribeye, filet mignon, porterhouse and Kansas City strip among others. For seafood fans, the twin South African lobster tails, tuna mignon, and jumbo Chesapeake lump crab cakes are highly recommended. The side orders are also delicious additions to any meal. Located in Glen Allen, Hondos has a reputation for a high standard of service and tender, tasty steaks.
Specialising in modern American cuisine with an Italian twist, Tarrant’s Café combines good quality food with a compelling historical connection to days gone by. In 1883, number 1 West Broad Street officially became a chemist’s shop, under the name of Harrison and Pierce. By 1905, it was bough by Willam G. Tarrant who created the Tarrant Drug Company. Tarrants the chemist survived until 1987, when Tarrant’s Cafe was born, delivering sophisticated, yet reasonably priced cuisine to the area. After servicing the community as a pharmacy for over 80 years in the Old Richmond Historic District, it only seems fitting that today, this building can still cater to the needs of the local community, this time in the form of fantastic food, including mouth-watering pizzas.
This delicious restaurant gives customers an authentic taste of Southern cooking. Branding itself as New Southern Cuisine, Julep’s Executive Chef Randall Doetzer regularly refreshes the menus to make the most of each season. Open since 2003, Julep’s is housed in the refurbished, oldest commercial building in Richmond, in the river district. Originally built around 1817 by Charles Whitlock, this building was used as a lumber house, a candle and soap factory, a brewery, a cigar-box maker, a market and a locksmith, before finally becoming this charming restaurant. This speakeasy also hosts events throughout the year, including fundraisers for charities.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.