The pull of the sands is strong in Virginia Beach, but that’s only half the fun. Wildlife-filled state parks, the Virginia Aquarium and afternoons of fishing or surfing make for a dreamy holiday. The city is also replete with a varied collection of hotels, ranging from art-filled boltholes to historic B&Bs. So, whatever you come here for, there’s a hotel to suit your needs.
As the name suggests, you can expect tranquil views of the Atlantic from your private balcony at this oceanfront Residence Inn. An ideal place to stay for families, the spacious, nautical-themed suites all come with fully equipped kitchens, designated living areas and complimentary breakfast. If you want to stay in, the indoor pool and fitness center will be sure to keep you entertained, but if you’d rather venture out, the Virginia Beach Boardwalk and Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center are only a short walk away.
Just steps away from the beach, the Barclay Towers Resort Hotel offers a simple, yet accommodating stay right on the waterfront. Each of the 138 suites has a private balcony with views over the Atlantic Ocean and the parasol-peppered beach below, as well as a king-size bed and a fully equipped kitchen. Don’t worry about cooking too much though, as the hotel offers a complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. There’s also a heated indoor pool and fitness center for when you’ve had your fill of the sun; the two banquet rooms on site make this the perfect place to say “I do”.
Panoramic ocean views are the least impressive part of this Delta Hotels offering. On the shores of Chesapeake Bay, the hotel boasts both a private beach and a glistening outdoor pool overlooking the Atlantic so you’ll be spoilt for choice when deciding where to lounge. The comfortable suites feature a minimalist design alongside modern amenities and are the perfect place to retreat after a sun-filled afternoon – not all offer full-bay views so be sure to check when booking. For a romantic evening, head down to the on-site restaurant and make sure to order the fresh oysters.
Sip your morning coffee while breathing in the salty ocean air from your private balcony at this Four Points hotel. Just steps from the sand and surf, and only a ten-minute drive from First Landing State Park, the location leaves little to be desired. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with Smart TVs and free wifi, while other hotel perks include an indoor swimming pool and 24-hour fitness center. For a delicious lunch, where you’re likely to bump elbows with locals, head down to Fish Bones, the all-you-can-eat seafood buffet on-site.
The location of this Hyatt House hotel is as good as it gets: just steps from the golden-sand beach and only a short stroll from Virginia Beach Boardwalk and Cape Henry Lighthouse. Rooms and suites come with oceanfront balconies and free breakfast, while unique hotel features such as a 24/7 H Market ensure you have a comfortable stay throughout. Best of all, the hotel offers eco-friendly amenities such as electric vehicle charging points. It’s pet-friendly, too.
As the best family beach resort in the area, this Holiday Inn claims familiar perks – a prime location on the boardwalk and large, comfortable rooms with oceanfront balconies – but this hotel is not your regular Virginia Beach stay. The kids will fall in love with the indoor and outdoor pools, the Splish Splash Lagoon waterslides and the activity program, Splash Kamp, while the adults will enjoy sunbathing and grabbing a bite to eat by the pool. In the evenings, the whole family can enjoy a movie at the on-site, 48-seat cinema or a delicious Italian dinner at the on-site restaurant, Isle of Capri.
Blending style and comfort, you are guaranteed a great stay at this Hilton Garden Inn. Make yourself a cup of Keurig coffee and look onto the beach from your private balcony, or take your pick between lounging by the spacious indoor or outdoor pool. Delicious food isn’t far away, either; the on-site Garden Grille serves up a fresh breakfast, while Larger Heads serves up some of the best gourmet burgers in Virginia Beach – you can even eat by a fire pit while enjoying live entertainment in peak season.
Swerve the resorts with a stay at this beach cottage, which is within walking distance of Croatan Beach and Neptune’s Park. The eight guest rooms are suitably homely but can include some not-so-standard features such as rainfall showers and jetted tubs. A third-floor spa that has its own heated pool means you don’t have to give up all the resort amenities. Free private parking is a welcome bonus.
Once a nightclub in the ’60s hosting the likes of Roy Orbison and the Shirelles, this family-friendly resort is now a comfortable spot for a Virginia Beach break. Every room comes with an ocean view, and some rooms also feature private waterfront balconies. There’s also a heated indoor pool, and you’ll receive complimentary access to a nearby gym. For a less-active vacation, Virginia Beach Fishing Pier is within walking distance.
This is an updated version of an article originally by James Callery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.