Let’s be honest; we know why people visit Texas. They’re looking for barbecue or Tex-Mex food, want to experience a rodeo or two-step, or love the great outdoors and sports enthusiasm of the Lone Star State. They’re not visiting Texas for the castles… but maybe they should. Surprisingly, Texas castles are totally a thing – and they’re beautiful. Don’t believe us? Check them out below!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Falkenstein Castle is a magical castle in the small town of Burnet, Texas, built by Terry and Kim Young. The Youngs toured Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. King Ludwig II had plans to build a castle nearby, Falkenstein Castle, but died before he could begin. The Youngs tracked down the blueprints of that castle and brought them back to Texas where they built their own Falkenstein Castle. Today, the castle is idyllic, surrounded by trees in Texas hill country and is often rented out for weddings, events, and filming for TV or movies.
Old Red Museum
Here is a quiet and friendly museum where you can go and explore Dallas through the ages. It has interactive elements at many of the stations, complete with information and quizzes to help children and adults alike retain what they are learning. It’s a four-story building with amazing architecture, and the museum uses the first two floors. It’s a place to see where Dallas has been in the past and a reflection on where Dallas should go in the future. This museum needs to be seen by locals and tourists alike.
One of the most beautiful homes in Galveston is Bishop’s Palace, built in the early 1890s for local lawyer Walter Gresham and his wife Josephine Gresham. The house has withstood a hurricane and several severe weather patterns. It later became the residence of the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Galveston, Christopher E. Byrne. The house is now owned by the Galveston Historical Foundation. You can take private tours and admire everything about the house from the stained glass windows to the intricate carvings made when the house was first built.
Bellville, Texas isn’t well-known in the Lone Star State, except for its most prized attraction: Newman’s Castle. Local Mike Newman was inspired by his travels through Europe to build a castle. He began working on the castle in 1998, and 20 years later, Mr. Newman’s vision has come true and produced a beautiful castle that glistens white against the surrounding water of the moat. Tours are available six days a week and include the opportunity to visit the chapel, keep, and courtyard.
Pemberton Castle appeared in the 1994 film Blank Check, and it’s no surprise why: This home is beautiful. The Pemberton Castle gets its name from its location in the Pemberton Heights neighborhood of Austin. However, it’s also known as the Fisher-Gideon House. Built in 1926, it began as a water tower and pump house to fight fires and water crops before expanding into the beautiful Gothic Revival castle it is today.
Built in 1890, Trube Castle delights those who visit the historic district of Galveston, Texas. This Victorian-style castle is 7,000 square feet with 21 rooms and was designed by Alfred Muller for John and Veronica Trube, per Mr. Trube’s request to have it look like the castles he grew up with in Denmark. Over the years, it’s been a private residence, bed and breakfast, and today is rented out for events, photo shoots, and even for a night’s stay. Tours are available by appointment, and are well worth the opportunity to walk upstairs to the observation deck and get a view of the harbor.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.