Reading a book is an experience that occurs on the page, in your imagination and absolutely within your surroundings. Whether you’re grabbing a book from one of our favorite Dallas independent bookstores or downloading one to your Kindle, here are our favorite places in Dallas to read. We think you’ll find them amazing, too!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Everything a coffee enthusiast looks for in a café and more can be found at Mudsmith, from fresh brewed Avoca coffee to rotating beans with special varieties. If you are looking to satisfy an appetite early in the morning or during lunch, the staff here serves a wide variety of breakfast dishes too, all of which go great with that strong cup of joe. If customers are not in a rush to beat the traffic, they should definitely opt to enjoy the neighborhood with a warm cup on the patio here. Look for the cozy, well-worn couches and armchairs. They make for the best reading spots in Mudsmith.
White Rock Lake
Once a privately owned reservoir located on over 1,000 acres (404.68 hectares) of land, the lake (and adjacent park) is an amazing place to spend the day. The lake is a popular site for mild water activities such as kayaking and sailing, and the park has a 10-mile (16-kilometer) hiking and biking trail, in addition to it being a great site for bird watching. This spot features both a dog park and picnic areas, and the lake is in close proximity to the White Rock Lake Museum, Bath House Cultural Center and Dallas Arboretum. Rent a pavilion to have a private family event or stay active by taking a stroll around the scenic waterfront. Bibliophiles can enjoy a good story in various parks or spots along the lake, whether by laying in a hammock strung between two trees or on a dock with your feet resting in the water.
The Wild Detectives
Javier García del Moral and Paco Vique were Spanish civil engineers who loved books and booze and wanted to create a place where the two could come together. From this passion arose The Wild Detectives. Part coffee shop, part bar and part bookstore, The Wild Detectives has become a favorite in Bishop Arts District. Set in a converted home with a front and back patio, the bookstore offers a curated selection of books that covers a variety of categories like mainstream, local, indie, children, artistic and Spanish-language. They’ve hosted over 300 literary events, including readings, symposiums, community discussions and book club meetings.
Klyde Warren Park
Most parks are just open green spaces for people to stroll around for fresh air, but not Klyde Warren Park! This public space is located on top of Woodall Rogers Freeway and hosts a hub of activities and events all year long. For the body, enjoy Sunday morning yoga, Wednesday night Zumba or Saturday afternoon Tai chi and boot camp. For your mind, attend a pleasant outdoor meditation or take a guided tour of the city skyline while learning historical facts about Dallas. For your appetite, there are a variety of food trucks at the park nearly every day, including an ice cream truck. You can also take a free art class or listen to a concert, and if you want a more traditional park experience, you can relax in the sun, play chess, bring your dog to the dog park or participate in a group sport. Magazines, newspapers and books can be borrowed from the park staff and read on one of the many tables and chairs that line the park. Others can bring their own books and lie among one of the grassy fields of the park.
The Garden Café is a magical restaurant and garden hidden in the Junius Heights neighborhood of East Dallas. This breakfast and lunch spot offers homemade, from-scratch meals made from local meats and veggies and organic ingredients from their on-site garden patio, a large area filled with gardens on both sides and a patio with tables and chairs. There are intermittent areas in the garden for those with a good book to sit and read while having a delicious meal.
Murray Street Coffee Shop
In the Old Dallas district, Murray Street Coffee Shop continues to attract visitors from neighboring areas. The shop has been thriving for the past five years and the ideal location, with plenty of parking space, is perfect for the traffic that heads over there at all times of the day. All the local creative minds come here to collaborate, relax or grab an on-the-go midday snack, so customers will meet an eclectic group of people at this joint.
Lake Cliff Park
Lake Cliff Park is Oak Cliff’s 44.5-acre park most notable for its large pond and garden areas. Visitors can take advantage of this gem of a beautiful park in a variety of ways, though many can be seen walking the trails, enjoying the playground or taking part in a pick-up basketball or baseball game on the respective fields. For those who love reading, it has so many sprawling green spaces to spread out a picnic blanket and read.
Half Price Books Flagship
Half Price Books is the largest bookstore chain for new and used books. However, it has humble beginnings in Dallas, Texas, in 1972 as a used bookstore out of an old Laundromat. Today, the Half Price Books Flagship store sits off Northwest Highway and offers a wonderful place to buy new and used books or attend literary events. There’s also plenty of tables with chairs where visitors can sit and read a new book, perhaps with a coffee in hand from the on-site coffee shop.
J. Erik Jonsson Central Library
The J. Erik Jonsson Central Library is at the center of the Dallas public library system. Located in downtown Dallas, it sits eight stories high and is filled with books, magazines, DVDs, art collections, a business center and interesting archive collections like Shakespeare’s First Folio and a rare copy of the Declaration of Independence. For kids, the Children’s Center is a wonderful section to read a book in bean bag chairs. For adults, there are plenty of private rooms that can be rented for quiet reading, or visitors can get lost in a book in one of the many armchairs and tables and chairs throughout the eight floors.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.