Everything’s bigger in Texas, including the limestone slabs at Pedernales Falls State Park. This river-run green space west of Austin is a fantastic place to have an adventure in the Lone Star State. Dive into the river for a swim or a paddle, or see the water from the riverside hiking and horseback trails. Add a little R&R to your river fun, with a stay at these hotels – bookable with Culture Trip – near Pedernales Falls State Park.
What can you do at Hill Country Casitas? Absolutely nothing. Oh, don’t worry, everything from hiking and volleyball to swimming is all on the docket if desired. However, your casita is the perfect place to disconnect and chill for hours without the urge to fill the time. All have kitchenettes and covered porches, ideal for cooking an easy meal and dining in the great outdoors. If you do need a change of pace, you can easily shuffle from your porch to the hot tub or fire pit without losing the views.
Lucky Arrow wanted us to tell you that you’re overdue for an overnight in a yurt. Temperature-controlled and decked out in elegant decor, these rustic one-room spaces will get you plenty acquainted with Hill Country. The communal bath house is close to your yurt, though, thankfully, you won’t have to venture outside to brew a cup of coffee. Take your java onto the deck, and inhale a breath of fresh Texas air before jumping on a tour of the breweries and wineries in Dripping Springs.
A warning to any unwed couple who may be visiting Camp Lucy: this romantic resort in the Texas Wine Country will have you so smitten, you may just elope right here. From s’mores over the fire pit to long, intimate hikes, you’ll have hours to just simply be together. We’re not trying to plant any ideas, but, if you really want to wow your beau, the English Suite has a handcrafted bathtub, an outdoor rain shower and a stone fireplace, all worthy of their own intimate moments.
The Alexander at Creek Road will let you achieve a childhood dream: living in your very own treehouse. Sure, the French Country Farmhouse is charming, and the rustic Live Oak Lodge has a cool vintage cowboy style, but the Treehouse Suites literally stand above the rest. Amazing views await, and the comfortable seating areas just beg for you to get lost in a book. Best of all, you’re only 20 minutes from Pedernales Falls, which affords you plenty of time to stay perched in your towering home.
The Crossroads Inn places your holiday at a convenient intersection between outdoor fun and small-town charm. Your carriage house suite, with its lovely whirlpool tub and king bed, is only a few blocks from the galleries, shops and wine rooms of Johnson City. Take the scenic route into town via the Johnson City Walking Trail, a great warm-up for the trails you’ll be tackling later in the week at Pedernales Falls State Park.
You may be staying in Texas Wine Country, but Carter Creek Winery Resort & Spa wants the craft beer crowd to know that they’re welcome, too. Cozy into a villa, warmed by an electric fireplace, and reward a long day of travel with a cold drink. The winery features award-winning wines that rival Napa bottles, while the Old 290 Brewery has Lone Star brews that’ll please even the most discerning beer drinker.
Betty B’s River House is a charming, cozy country home that’s so welcoming, you’ll expect your grandma to be baking cookies in the kitchen. With room for seven siblings, cousins or friends, y’all can spend your days playing on the treehouse deck and spend your nights cooking s’mores over the firepit. Go on, and have a sit on the porch, rocking back and forth while you watch your more adventurous kin swim across the river to Blanco State Park.
Treat the kids to an Austin adventure they’ll never forget at Lakeway Resort & Spa. Special activities for the little ones, like movie and s’mores nights, are the perfect way to cap off a day spent at the kiddie pool, splash pad and adventure slide. Mom and dad will have their fun, too, with Texas River Rock massages at the spa and refreshing adult beverages at the Back Porch lobby bar. For the ultimate treat, rent some jet skis, and take Lake Travis by storm.
For more excellently located stays in the Lone Star State, see the best hotels near Big Bend National Park, and book your room with Culture Trip. Find your favorite spot in Texas by going on a giant statewide road trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.