Keep Austin Weird may be the city’s slogan, but the capital of Texas has much more to offer than the offbeat, especially for families. Austin is a wonderful place for families to dive into delicious barbeque, the beautiful Lady Bird Lake and a whole hub of Texas-sized fun. Grab the kiddos, pack the road snacks, and cue up the show tunes; these family-friendly hotels in Austin – bookable with Culture Trip – are ready to host your big vacation.
No, you’re not crazy for bringing the kids along on your time off at Omni Barton Creek. Granted, this resort and spa isn’t one of the standard family-friendly hotels in Austin, but that doesn’t mean that you and the kids can’t savor a luxurious stay. Got sport-loving teens? The hotel offers golf and tennis lessons on site. As for the little ones, mini-golf, s’mores kits and nature trails will make them happy campers.
Country Inn & Suites gets it: you’re a parent with a packed schedule and frayed patience. This hotel is right off of I-35, getting your family to Texas Typhoon Waterpark and Austin’s Park n’ Pizza within minutes. Free breakfasts are ready as soon as your kids are, and the free cookies and coffee come in clutch if any little feet are off to a slow start. Just be sure you pencil in a few quick cannonballs at the pool before checking out.
Handmade salted caramels are waiting for you in your room (if you can get to them before the kids snaffle them up) at the Archer, but, if complimentary candy doesn’t get your brood on board, tell them that they can have whatever dessert they desire from the dozens of restaurants at the Domain. That’ll leave you to savor every element of your Texas-chic suite, along with the caramels, such as the floor-to-ceiling photo murals and the nail-studded platform beds.
Even your teens will admit that the Lone Star Court is pretty cool. The live music on Friday and Saturday nights is the perfect encore to an evening swim, and they’ll be thrilled when you tell them that they’re allowed to take complimentary bicycle rentals over to the movie theater at the Domain. For what it’s worth, you’ll dig this hip hotel, too, even if the kids don’t appreciate the barn-style bathroom doors or hinge-style desk with cowhide director’s chairs.
The kids are going to get a kick out of the Texas-shaped waffles at SpringHill Suites’ breakfast buffet. The breakfast tacos should be a hit, too, and, if all else fails, even the moodiest of minors will crack a smile splashing around in the pool. This family-friendly hotel in the Austin outskirts of Cedar Park is close to the HEB Center, in case you need to snag quick hockey, basketball or concert tickets for a kid-pleasing activity.
Kids having a hard time putting their cellphones down? You’ll be blown away by how quickly they’ll stop scrolling at Lost Pines Resort and Spa. The Crooked River Water Park alone will have messages left unread, and the kids will double-tap the family hikes, corn hole games and nightly s’mores service. And, whenever they get a little sore for screen time, send them to the video arcade and conveniently forget to mention that they left their phones in the hotel room.
As you get ready to let your UT Austin freshman finally leave the nest, Homewood Suites will keep you close to campus. You’ll need to keep the tissues nearby, though, as you cook up a few last family breakfasts in the in-suite kitchen. The campus is only 15 minutes away, though it’ll feel worlds away when you drop them off at their dorm. No need to fight back the happy tears; there won’t be a dry eye at the hotel’s evening social after you share a few heartwarming memories with other guests.
If your idea of family-friendly hotels in Austin also means budget-friendly hotels in Austin, then Comfort Suites will suit you well. The free breakfast with its famous waffles will do your wallet and willpower good, especially if you’re hitting the city early to get a good spot in line at Franklin’s Barbeque (you’ll need the extra calories alone just to weather the queue time). Smoke-free facilities including the outdoor pool mean your family won’t be coughing up any cash or cooties.
Fancy a relaxing stay in Texas? Check out our guide to the best spa and wellness retreats in Texas, USA, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.