A vibrant west Texas border town, Laredo’s proximity to the Mexican border makes it a natural hotspot for authentic Mexican and Southwestern eats. Here is our selection of the top local eats in Laredo.
Located just a short distance from the scenic shores of Lake Casa Blanca is El Capataz – a Latin American restaurant fusing the flavors of South Mexico, the Caribbean, South America and the Mediterranean. Behind its modest-looking doors, El Captaz hides a stunning contemporary space blending hacienda-style rustic charm with chic, modern elements. Chef and native Laredoan Roberto Gonzalez – whose resume includes a stint at New York City’s legendary Le Bernadin– oversees the creation of dishes like the popular three-hour prime rib. This is a 13- or 23-ounce cut marinated in dry spices and served with horseradish sour cream and garlic-scented fries.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
El Capataz, 7220 Bob Bullock Loop, Unit C-7, Laredo, TX, USA, +1 956 723 7400
For chic, hip ambience and eclectic international cuisine, local diners in the know head straight to Lolita’s Bistro. This is an upscale restaurant opened in the summer of 2012 by young chef and owner Gabriela ‘Maita’ Fernandez. It has been praised for its vibrant atmosphere and adventurous fare. Relax at its retro bar, where wines and beers await diners. Then take in the tastes of tempting entrees like pan-seared sea scallops with sweet potato puree or the sesame and peanut-crusted tuna with grilled asparagus and lemongrass soy sauce. Or, experience its popular weekend brunch menu with dishes like chicken and waffles, pancakes and French toast. Ideally, wash these down with a mimosa.
Lolita’s Bistro, 6950 McPherson Road, Suite C, Laredo, TX, USA, +1 956 568 5334
El Meson de San Agustin
A Laredo dining tradition since it first opened its doors in 1995, El Meson de San Agustin is an unassuming side-street venue. It is located in historic downtown Laredo, just a stone’s throw from the beautiful Cathedral of San Agustin. Intimate and decked out in bright, vibrant colors and rustic wooden furniture, El Meson de San Agustin is open from 11am to 4.30pm every day except Sunday. It is perfect for a relaxed daytime meal of first-rate, authentic Mexican fare. Standout dishes include poblano pepper enchiladas with red rice and beans and the filete de pescado empanizado – breaded fish served with white rice and fries.
El Meson de San Agustin, 908 Grant Street, Laredo, TX, USA, +1 956 712 9009/+1 956 725 9299
Based at the boutique La Posada Hotel, a historic four-building hacienda-style property is Zaragoza Grill. This is a classy fine-dining restaurant in the heart of downtown Laredo. Zaragoza Grill’s upscale Latin fare has seen it bestowed with accolades such as being listed among Texas Monthly’s Top 50 Mexican Restaurants in Texas in 2010. Standout dishes include its queso fresco tenderloin served with cilantro tortilla rice, bacon-wrapped asparagus and chili guajillo butter. The meals are accompanied by handcrafted cocktails and an extensive wine list.
Border Foundry Restaurant & Bar
Perfect for diners who like a little local history with their food is the Border Foundry Restaurant & Bar. This spot is a homage to owner Pete Mims’ grandfather, who opened a local metal casting factory in the early 1900s. With a menu full of traditional American fare with a contemporary twist, this place has accolades including Best Date Night Restaurant and Best Fine Dining in Sabor Laredo’s 2014 Readers’ Choice Awards. First-time diners will find why Border Foundry is one of Laredo’s best local restaurants with dishes like Texas red snapper with house-made linguine and a Valencia orange and caper alfredo sauce.
Jalapenos Pizza & Wings
Often hailed as the best pizza joint in Laredo, Jalapenos Pizza & Wings is where local diners flock to for delicious, authentic New York-style pizza. Pizzas are available whole or by the slice. They can be enjoyed in Jalapenos’ lively, laid-back dining room or taken home. Try its signature namesake pizza topped with beans, chorizo, onions, tomatoes and, of course, jalapenos. Alternatively, choose the Deluxe with pepperoni, Canadian bacon, mushrooms, sausage, black olives, onions and green peppers. Team with sides such as BBQ wings, chicken strips and potato wedges.
Jalapenos Pizza & Wings, 9802 McPherson Road, Laredo, TX, USA, +1 956 722 7777