Austin, with its rapidly expanding dining scene, has evolved multiple dining districts, each with its own unique personality. In the last five years, the traditional Eastside of the city experienced a radical transformation from hip bar scene to modern dining enclave. Here is a list of the current best 10 restaurants to enjoy next time you visit East Austin.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Top Chef winner and James Beard awardee Paul Qui opened his namesake restaurant on the Eastside a couple of years ago, and Austin has been raving ever since. His first fine dining restaurant is both a homage to the home cooking of his native Philippines and a forward-looking take on modern global cuisine. His food has been described as meticulous, exquisite, and sensual.
This beautifully designed restaurant from Chef Rene Ortiz in the heart of the Eastside has created a buzz about its modern interpretation of Mediterranean food. You can expect shareable plates that range from hamachi crudo to chilled beef tongue done with bright flavors. Toast is on the menu, and the version with crab is fantastic. This restaurant will remind you that dinner can be a gift for the senses.
With its funky French motif, Justine’s Brasserie will remind you of going to someone’s house for a great dinner party. The oldest restaurant on the list, this French restaurant will make you want to hang out with all your new best friends who were also invited to the party as you enjoy steak frites, homemade charcuterie, and cote de pore.
On a side of town where Tex Mex and regional Mexican food of all types live comfortably near one another, Licha’s authentic take on Mexico City–style casual food has been received enthusiastically by East Austin. Try the huaraches tuetano with bone marrow or champinon (mushrooms). Plates of enmoladas (roasted duck with mole) and cochinita pibil will have you singing the praises of Licha’s fresh take on an old cuisine.
Jacoby’s Restaurant & Mercantile
Jacoby’s is a real Texas restaurant beautifully done on the banks of Lady Bird Lake. The owners get their beef, lamb, and goat from their family farm in West Texas. They also take pride in sourcing produce as locally as possible. You will see many central Texas classics done to exacting standards, like chicken fried steak on waffles, shrimp and grits, and cornmeal-crusted rainbow trout.
Bufalina offers authentic Neapolitan pizza served in a small but modern and handsome Italian space. The owner and chef Steven Dilley imported a stefano forni built brick oven to recreate the cooking heat needed to get his artisanal pizza crust just perfect. Start your trip to Naples with the harissa with eggplant shallot and pistachio, or perhaps the braised goat with Garrotxa cheese and fennel pollen. They are as delicious as they sound.
This Japanese izakaya (pub) style restaurant, where drinking and dining go hand in hand and relaxing is the point, is from longtime Austin sushi chef Kazu Fukumoto. You can expect expertly produced cuts of yellowtail, buttery salmon belly, and delicate fatty bluefin tuna. You get excellent yakitori (with offal cuts like chicken hearts) and light and lacey fried tempuras. Celebrate your good fortune with about 20 different sake options and a nice selection of Japanese beers.
A modern, vegetable-forward restaurant that features proteins in a more complementary role, Gardner really speaks to the soul of progressive Eastsiders. The menu is split into first and second courses. You may start with beet terrine with pistachio or carrots with vadouvan, mint, bell pepper, hazelnut. Then try the Carolina gold rice with broccoli, mint, green olive or the ribeye with brassicas, charred onion, black truffle puree.
A fresh perspective on Indian favorites, Nasha does things a little differently. Have the biryanis with lamb or shrimp or go vegan with the aloo gobi, a curry of cauliflower potato and peas, or chana masala, a curried stew of garbanzo beans in tomato sauce. You can also try something new: Indian Tacos. East Austin’s unique version of Tex-Mex, these tacos are filled with chicken marsala, fish malvani, and egg burgi.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.