While it’s often characterized as the ‘less trendy, more affordable’ sister neighborhood to Austin’s South Congress vicinity, South Lamar offers some of the best, and most authentic, bars in Austin. Every bit of the funky, eclectic vibe that visitors get from the neighborhood is a product of the people and the businesses that make up this quirky little area, and the best way to meet them is to frequent the best bars.
Black Sheep Lodge
Located at South Lamar and Oltorf, Black Sheep Lodge provides a hole-in-the-wall feel while still managing to maintain itself as a fixture in the South Lamar neighborhood. With 26 beers on tap, and over 125 different types of bottled brews, an evening spent here is a night well spent. They also offer Tuesday night $2 MexiCANS (Modelo Especial, Tecate, and Tecate Light) and Wednesday night $1 ‘White Trash Cans’ (Lone Star and PBR Tallboys, Schlitz, and Pearl).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gibson Street Bar
Gibson Street Bar offers 16 craft beers and many more bottled beers as well as cocktails, wine and bubbly. Be sure to check out Wine Wednesdays for a free Henri’s Cheese Shop cheese plate with every bottle of wine purchased. Looking for more than just drinks? No problem! Gibson Street Bar also plays host to Luke’s Inside Out food truck. Luke’s has burgers, sandwiches and just about anything to go with a solid pint.
Gourdough’s Public House
Starting out of the original Gourdough’s food truck, Gourdough’s Public House opened a permanent location on South Lamar Boulevard in 2013. Initially known for their decadent and eclectic donut creations, Gourdough’s Public House merged the brilliance of the donut burger with an assortment of local beers and creative cocktails. Stop by on Mondays at 8:00pm CST for the Geeks who Drink pub quiz.
Opa! Coffee and Wine Bar
For a more international vibe, check out Opa! Coffee and Wine Bar. Located right along South Lamar Boulevard, it’s hard to miss its glowing string lights and constantly full outdoor courtyard. While the bar does offer some Greek comfort food favorites, like moussaka, they also make a mean sangria and carry local beers like Austin Eastciders and Austin Beerworks.
Barton Springs Saloon
Have friends in town visiting and want to show them a good time in South Lamar? Then check out Barton Springs Saloon. Situated in a converted gas station, Barton Springs Saloon offers a local hangout that welcomes both patrons and first-time visitors alike. The bar’s website says it best: ‘Barton Springs Saloon is an OLD bar, a throwback to a time when professionals, college students, legislators and locals met and mingled at a watering hole…’
Originally opened in downtown Austin in 2004, One-2-One Bar moved to South Lamar in early 2013 to better accompany the growing number of patrons and local musicians that frequent the space. Since moving to the South Lamar neighborhood, One-2-One has added a rooftop bar to the downtown location as well as a much larger space for live shows. One-2-One Bar is strictly a live music venue and a full bar, so no food here.
The Saxon Pub
Like a lot of successful bars in the South Lamar neighborhood, live music is key. The Saxon Pub is no different. Billed as a concert space, The Saxon offers patrons free weekday happy hour shows as well as a wide array of brews both on tap and in the bottle. The Saxon Pub does not technically offer food; however, they do have ‘order-in’ menus from surrounding restaurants for those patrons who want a bite to eat.
Corner Bar boasts the moniker of being the bar ‘where everybody knows your name,’ and it’s easy to see why. Corner Bar has NFL Ticket, NBA Package, NHL Package, MLB Package and the Longhorn Network and multiple TV screens. Want to grab a beer somewhere after work, but just not sure where? Corner Bar has a mix of local beers, as well as their ‘a shot & a beer’ menu — try the Mexican Standoff if it’s been a particularly rough day at work.
The Golden Goose
Though The Golden Goose is now a refurbished version of the iconic South Lamar dive bar The Horseshoe Lounge, it still provides a dive bar-esque vibe. If looking for a place that embodies the current state of transition that the South Lamar neighborhood is seeing, then look no further. Aside from a list of local beers, The Golden Goose offers craft cocktails to sip while playing shuffleboard or hanging out around the vintage jukebox. If looking to support local liquor makers, then try the Deep Eddy Frozen Moscow Mule or the Deep Fuego, a frozen White Russian cocktail using Deep Eddy Vodka and Cafe Del Fuego Coffee Liqueur.
Lastly, if planning to visit South Lamar and drink, then it is imperative to stop by Broken Spoke for a beer. Though technically a dance hall, Broken Spoke also boasts a restaurant and a sizable beer selection. If ever there was a place that stood as the poster child for the South Lamar neighborhood, Broken Spoke would be it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.