There’s always something to do in the Heights, and particularly for those with an appreciation for art. Scope out the scenes and uncover valuable artifacts and antiques, shop for some fly clothing that probably belonged to someone’s grandparents, catch a few multimedia art shows, and cruise around on a bike to discover the history of the city. This is definitely the area all the hipsters should want to flock to.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Donovan Park is heaven on earth for children, and all ages at that. Located in the heart of the neighborhood, the kids call it ‘castle park’ for the way the structure resembles that of castle turrets. Privately managed by the Houston Heights Association, it is gated, safe, and open to the public. Its wooden jungle gym is in perfect condition and hiding spots are abundant. Even adults can enjoy themselves while eating lunch in the picnic areas. They might even have a blast on the epic wooden train! Painted mosaic tiles have been installed since 1995; it’s truly a charming little place.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
White Linen Night
Since 2006, every year on the first Saturday of August, the folks of the Heights get together in their finest white clothing and participate in several activities to attract attention to their local businesses. Think of White Linen Night like a huge block party for a good cause. The event gets more and more engaging every year, with live music, art, and plenty of restaurants to dine in. The event is free and certain streets are blocked off, making it pedestrian friendly and a fantastic affair to take the family.
Bayou City Bike Tours
Looking for the road less traveled? Bayou City Bike Tours is a sure way to get an entertaining history lesson and a good workout in historic heights. California cruisers and helmets are provided, and the guides are fun and knowledgeable. The near eight-mile trip is attainable to anyone’s ability, since there’s plenty of stopping for group interaction and to discuss history; it hardly feels like the tour has been traveling that far.
Art Car Museum
Like art shows? Like car shows? The Art Car Museum, also known as ‘Garage Mahal,’ displays a unique and exciting combination of both. One contributor says, ‘once you start putting stuff on your car, you never stop.’ Local artists take the hunk of metal and transform it into captivating contemporary art with personal statements. The cars on exhibit rotate every so often, and there are even parades. Admission is free, and everyone can find something enjoyable.
Sand Dollar Thrift Store
Vintage clothing will never not be in style, and you can find them for cheap at Sand Dollar Thrift Store. Sand Dollar has a huge selection of ’80s and ’90s clothing and are organized by color! Spend hours in here trying to piece together cute outfits or browsing through old records. Many hidden treasures are to be discovered, like neat knick-knacks, secondhand books, and good old-fashioned sweaters that grandpa (and today’s hipsters) will love. Every month, they have an ‘everything half off’ sale, as if things weren’t already amazingly cheap enough.
Looking to add a retro charm to your home with some of amazing finds? Thrift shops aren’t the only place to find intriguing elements. August Antiques has plenty of eclectic items, ranging from art deco to metal outdoor fixtures and architectural pieces; some of it even dates back to the ’40s and ’50s! Not to mention the plentiful rare books and religious artifacts. Plus, they’re always getting in new shipments. The owner is well informed on everything in relation to antiques and is willing to negotiate prices, too.
Casa Ramirez Folkart Gallery
Casa Ramirez Folkart Gallery houses many authentic and vibrant Mexican kitsch. The gallery is well organized and shows off everything that is Mexico, including dia de los muertos items and some traditional clothing. Art, cookbooks, and memoirs can be unearthed in this gem of a shop. It’s a wonderful place to bring the children and learn about another culture. The owners are sweet and occasionally travel themselves to bring artifacts here to the Heights. Speaking of sweet, complimentary hojarascas (Mexican sugar cookies) are offered upon walking in.
Aurora Picture Show
Once a church, Aurora Picture Show is now converted into a cinema where moviegoers sit in the pews to worship a huge screen… Or just to watch movies. It is a non-profit organization that promotes independent films and new media arts. The films are put together by guest artists. Viewings consist of poetry, independent children’s shows, experimental pieces, and sometimes live performances. One memorable example is a live-action documentary with a live band as the soundtrack. It’s a great opportunity to experience something new and an alternative to the typical movie theater that just dries out an entire wallet.
Nikara Montgomery is an aspiring animator from Houston, Texas who seeks to write and produce cartoons that will make you forget your worries, if for only an hour or so.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.