While the nation still mourns the loss of Barbara Bush, a former first lady and mother of a president, no city feels the pain more than her home, Houston.
Born in New York but a resident of Texas since the 1950s, the matriarch of the Bush political dynasty will be remembered as a woman who reflected her city: outspoken, strong, and accepting of others.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Her funeral service, held at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church–where she and former President Bush once handed out coffee in the mornings–was attended by former presidents Obama and Clinton, their wives, and current First Lady, Melania Trump. Other dignitaries from around the world made the trip to Houston to honor the memory of Bar, as she was called, before she was laid to rest on the grounds of the George H.W. Bush Library and Museum at Texas A&M University.
Even at 92-years-old, Barbara regularly walked in her Tanglewood neighborhood, often joined by her two little Maltipoos, Bibi and Mini-Me. A salt-of-the-earth, outspoken woman, Barbara was “best known to the world as the wife of a president and the mother of another,” said Houston mayor Sylvester Turner, “but in Houston we also knew her as a local leading light, an achiever in her own right who spoke and acted from the heart and the gut.”
Just a few of Barbara’s Houstonian living legacies: Barbara Bush branch library, Barbara Bush Elementary School, Barbara Bush Literacy Plaza, Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, and the Barbara Bush Houston Literacy Foundation.
After Hurricane Harvey, Barbara, along with her daughter-in-law Laura, donated $2 million through their foundations to restore Houston’s libraries and send school supplies to those in need.
The Houston Astros and Rockets both released statements mourning the loss of one of their favorite fans. During Astros games, Barbara famously kept score throughout the game. She even signed a copy of her scoresheets for Mike Acosta to keep.
Houston Texans icon J.J. Watt called her a “beautiful light in this world.”
Although Barbara was living in a liberal-leaning city and the head of a Republican dynasty, she vibrantly connected to the political turnings of her home and her country. She openly supported the first gay mayor of Houston, Annise D. Parker, even telling her she “could have been a Bush.” She was also very outspoken about her feelings on the current political climate, saying, “I don’t know how any woman could vote for Trump.”
Barbara Bush’s influence will surely be felt for generations to come, with Texas serving as the foundation of her legacy. Russ Levenson, her personal pastor said it best, “One can’t underestimate the truly Godly qualities of Barbara Bush, that gentility, that humility, the quality of concern and care for others around her.” One single person might not understand, but the city of Houston, Texas always will.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.