With its gloriously appointed vaudeville theaters and off-the-wall dive bars, the hippest city in Texas is a paradise for music lovers. We highlight seven of its most iconic venues.
For a city the size of Austin, playing host to one major festival would be enough to guarantee its place on the international music map. But this hipster enclave in the Lone Star State is a place where they double-down on everything. Every March, there’s the music industry jamboree, South by South West, and then in October, the city plays host to the Austin City Limits Festival, which has in the past featured mega-band headliners such as Vampire Weekend, Radiohead, and Depeche Mode. Not that this happened by accident, of course, Austin is music-mad 365 days of the year and has a roster of gig venues that would make most metropolises weep. We’ve partnered with music-enthusiasts 14 Hands Winery, who happen to be the official wine sponsor of the Austin City Limits Music Festival, and make the kind of wild, untamed wines that perfectly capture the spirit of this wild, untamed city, to pick seven of Austin’s highlights – from downtown dive bars to state-of-the-art, purpose-built concert halls.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Since it opened in 1975, Austin’s legendary blues club has moved around the city, but wherever it’s been it has always attracted the best, including BB King, Eric Clapton and Ray Charles. Now on Fifth Street, just around the corner from its original home on Sixth, the club is once again at the heart of the action and still booking stellar acts from across the spectrum, while always maintaining its love of blues and soul. The menu was created by Jalal, an uncle of the original owner, Clifford Antone, back in 1963. Be sure to try one of the famous Louisiana-style po’ boy sandwiches accompanied by a zingy 14 Hands Gewürztraminer.
The White Horse Saloon
Whether they’re hipsters in distressed jeans or retirees in diamanté denim, honky-tonk lovers of all kinds flock to the unpretentious White Horse for its Texas two-step dance lessons and its always-on-the-money roster of up-and-coming country bands. Acts play in front of a brilliant-red backdrop, while the lighting is low and the drinks are cheap. There’s a terrific taco truck outside serving everything from Bomb burritos to chipotle shrimp quesadillas, which are worth the visit alone. It’s a perfect opportunity to grab a bottle of 14 Hands Hot to Trot to enjoy with your meal.
This beautifully designed indoor-outdoor venue in the Red River Cultural District, which opened in 2006, has acquired an international reputation thanks to its forward-thinking gig schedule and big-time party atmosphere. Knowledgeable bartenders pour generous shots of small-batch liquors in the handsome taxidermy-stuffed bar. And there are two gig spaces: an intimate one inside for emerging bands and a larger one outside for big touring acts like Los Campesinos and the Psychedelic Furs.
The Hole in the Wall
Sitting proudly opposite the University of Texas campus, the Hole in the Wall is a grungy student bar with all the essentials: cheap drinks, graffitied toilets, brilliant music. Fittingly, its tight-packed, always-atmospheric gig space has been a place of serious learning for the local acts who have honed their craft here before going onto bigger things, among them the alt-rock band Fastball, and the blues-and-funk singer Black Joe Lewis.
ACL Live at the Moody Theater
Austin City Limits, which regularly airs on PBS, is the only television show ever to win America’s coveted National Medal of Arts. A music show for authentic music lovers, it’s taped at the Moody Theater in downtown Austin. To attend show tapings you must enter a ticket lottery, but when the studio is not being used for this purpose, ACL Live at the Moody Theater presents concerts year-round that you can purchase tickets for. This gives you the opportunity to see massive names live from across the musical spectrum, from Dinosaur Jr to St Vincent.
With its lion tamer wall mural and trumpeting pink elephant, this gloriously rickety dive bar has been one of the most iconic venues in Austin since it opened its doors in 1963. There’s an actual carousel behind the bar and the whole thing has the feel of something David Lynch might have dreamed up, which is perfect for the always-leftfield line-ups that feature everything from new bands on the make to belly dancers.
Built in the classical revival style in 1915, the glorious Paramount Theater is the grande-dame of the Austin music scene; a proper old-school theatre. with a gorgeous proscenium arch that frames a big stage, it has a long history of vaudeville and variety shows. Today, the venue keeps that eclectic spirit alive with a varied schedule featuring everything from internationally famous stand-up comedians and odd-ball magicians to local musicians and big touring acts such as KD Lang and Gladys Knight.
14 Hands does things differently. We honor the past, but we’re passionate about trying new things. And that means making wine that is flavor first, and everything else second. Discover wines unbound by rules or convention at your local retailer today. ©2021 14 Hands Winery, Prosser WA, Red Wine
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.