Break out your sun hats, your seersucker suits and your most elegant Southern drawl to welcome the most anticipated horse race (and probably the only one) you’ll watch all year. The Kentucky Derby is spectacular both for the excellent horses it exhibits, but also the tradition and cheerful debauchery it encourages. However, you don’t want to watch this event just anywhere. Make the most of your fancy dress by spending Derby Day at one of these hot spots in Austin.
Derby in the City at Austin American Statesman
For the third year in a row, the local newspaper is hosting the biggest derby event in the city. The Derby in the City festival is held from 1:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on May 6, and pairs the races with live music and mint juleps. General admission tickets are $31.50 and VIP tickets are $100, which includes food, massages and more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Every year, the Derby Party at Irene’s comes loaded with mint juleps, jugs of Derby Punch, country ham biscuits, hot browns and pie. Not like this is much different from the all-American fare they serve all year round, but something about sitting on that wraparound outdoor porch is just so perfect when it’s derby season. Just one warning: their drinks are infamously strong, so watch yourself.
Haymaker is the sports bar on the east side of town. While there is always something going on, the Manor Road bar really gets into the Kentucky Derby spirit and hosts contests and activities to keep the kids occupied while the adults enjoy mint julep specials. If you arrive early enough you may even be able to take home a souvenir glass.
Kitty Cohen’s is a perfect spot for a girls’ night out, with flamingo-adorned bathroom walls, a glittery bar and a pool to dip your feet into on the patio out back. This 70s-themed feminist bar offers sweet and sexy libations that are the perfect complement to a warm day, including a $45 punch bowl to share with friends – or not.
Drink.Well. is a neighborhood bar offering 75 types of whiskey, as well as unique cocktails, beers and a small menu with noteworthy bar bites including crispy ancho chickpeas and housemade Twinkies. They change up their menu seasonally but always offer a range of drinks to appease every liquor preference. In a city as hot and humid as Austin, it’s often necessary to quench your thirst. Why not do so with a craft cocktail from the North Loop–favorite? Or, sample its spicy kimchi Reuben with melted Swiss cheese, an electrifying Russian dressing and corned beef cooked to perfection; just make sure to follow it with a Lazy Dog (complete with bourbon, ginger syrup, fresh lemon juice and hopped grapefruit bitters) if you’re feeling the need to indulge.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.