Life in a college town is a never-ending barrage of good times, ball games and dollar beer nights. College Station, home to Texas A&M University, certainly delivers on that expectation. But for those of you who’ve moved on from your college days, don’t worry, there are several attractions and events that this town has to offer. Here are 10 of the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
George Bush Presidential Library
No trip to College Station would be complete without a trip to the George Bush Presidential Library. Whether you’re a Republican, Democrat or politically agnostic, it benefits everyone to step inside this architecturally beautiful, knowledge filled museum. Researchers, family or students will love perusing through the forty-three million pages of documents and a special section on former first lady Barbara Bush as well as a classroom specifically for students from kindergarten through high school. It’s a landmark of the state of Texas and worth visiting while you’re here.
Although this next attraction is seasonal, it more than makes up for it with the acres of lights, decorations and events that will make even the most hardened cynic smile. Drive around on Santa’s Hayride Tours and enjoy the Santa Wonderland Band or any live act playing every single night for its two month run. Hungry? Chow down on the ‘biggest half pound burgers in the state’ at Frost Bite Village or a grab a glass of wine at the Wonderland Winery. Since it’s the season for giving, the community participates in their annual Brazos Valley Food Bank Night as well as Aggieland Humane Society-Cocoa for a Cause. Oh, and Santa’s there, of course.
Brazos Valley African American Museum
As the first establishment of its kind to promote African American citizens in the Brazos Valley, BVAAM draws you in with a perspective of history known to very few. With powerful exhibits such as ‘A Black Nation Divided: North vs. South’ as well as acrylic paintings from local artists, there is an eclectic mix of information in all forms. This is a perfect destination for those that want a better understanding of the people of Brazos County and beyond.
The Theatre Company
While it may feel like a nostalgic stroll down memory lane in Downtown Bryan, you will be transported to another time and place with the compelling and authentic performances at The Theatre Company. Whether it be ‘Into the Woods,’ ‘Man of La Mancha,’ ‘Bye Bye Birdie,’ or ‘The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas,’ you will be on the edge of your seat experiencing some of the finest in live theater that Brazos Valley has to offer.
First Friday is held every month on the, you guessed it, first Friday. It was established in 2005 to help showcase Downtown Bryan. Arts and Culture is a centerpiece, with street performers, food trucks, and live musical performances. While attending, take a leisurely stroll through Downtown Bryan, a location with architecture that seems to be taken straight out of a movie set. Time goes just a little bit slower here, which is a luxury we all need on the weekend.
Let’s face it — Texas is hot. There’s no better place to alleviate the stress of the Texas heat like going for a swim or camping at Lake Bryan. With plenty of space for the jet skiers as well as the casual swimmer, this is the place to be in the Bryan and College Station area. In the mood for a cocktail and a shrimp quesadilla? Stop by The Icehouse, equipped with a bar, pool tables and a stage for live performances on the weekends. Have an ice-cold margarita on the deck overlooking the lake and you may forget about the blistering heat for a few seconds.
Can’t tell the difference between a Chardonnay and a Riesling? How about a Merlot from a Pinot Noir? If you’re looking for the the top spot in the area where you can enhance your wine expertise, as well as try fantastic wine, Messina Hof Winery & Resort is it. Have a weekend getaway at The Villa bed and breakfast, or a delicious meal at The Vintage House restaurant. With a friendly staff and educational tours, you will bolster your knowledge of wine in no time with enough to impress your friends at the next wine and cheese party.
Brazos Valley Bombers
The Brazos Valley Bombers are the go-to baseball team in Brazos County. The three-time defending Texas Collegiate League Champions display a standard of excellence on a nightly basis for the ardent baseball enthusiast, and make for a great family night out at the ballpark. Come for the baseball, but stay for the promotions such as Teacher Appreciation night, Thirsty Thursday and of course, Fourth of July fireworks.
Sip ‘N’ Shop and Texas Reds
Sip n’ Shop (May) and Texas Reds (September) are yearly events where you can go from shop to shop and business to business in downtown Bryan trying different wines from around the world. These events help promote local business in the area, thanks to patrons sampling various wines and shopping in a place they’ve never heard of before this event. If you want to take your time sampling, you don’t have to finish your beverage inside — walk up and down the streets with your glass full.
In the mood for something a little louder than the lake and less tranquil? Look no further than Hurricane Harry’s. Even though it’s located in Northgate, you don’t have to be a student to enjoy live music and great drink specials every night. The best part is, you don’t have to go on a weekend to enjoy a quality performance, with The Eli Young Band playing on a Wednesday night. They have great drink specials too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.