There are no treehouses in this list, but when it comes to visiting this living legend, a nearby hotel is the next best thing. These are the best around Angel Oak Tree, Charleston.
The Angel Oak Tree is one of the oldest living trees in the United States, and an absolute beauty. Its winding branches scoop the ground and scrape the sky, embracing nature at every level. Located on John’s Island, the accompanying park is a perfect place for a picnic when visiting Charleston, South Carolina. See the Angel Oak Tree and other natural marvels around Charleston when you stay at one of these coastal hotels – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’ll be difficult staying at the Regatta Inn, as their rooms overlooking the Sunset Cay Marina will constantly tempt you to charter a boat and head out with your rod and reel. To curb the pangs, go downstairs for a big breakfast that’ll knock all notions of active excursions out of you – but don’t worry, the beach shuttle will still be running when you come round. After a day of sunning, head back sandy-haired for complimentary evening cocktails in the lobby.
Andell Inn insists that you trade the typical hotel experience for apartment-style living, and on this evidence we have to agree. Your suite has a dedicated work area, living space, fully equipped kitchen and plenty of extra space to stretch out. Get your shopping done early at Freshfields Village next door, before walking or biking to the beach. Since it’s a holiday, you could even take the complimentary shuttle – but then again, the resort’s saltwater pool is far closer.
How long will it take you to eat through more than a dozen restaurants at the Sanctuary? If you’re an avid golfer, you probably won’t have time to find out. This Kiawah Island golf resort has five courses waiting to steal every minute of free time. If all you see are the greens and the ceiling of your king suite, then you’ll have no complaints. If you have a few minutes extra to look around, you might notice boutique shops, three pools and stunning ocean views ready to spoil you.
The Charleston room at the Water’s Edge Inn may be the obvious choice for your stay, but it’s the marshfront Floridian room that’ll give you a balcony. Lost track of time up there? The 24-hour outdoor hot tub will still be bubbling, like a benevolent cauldron. And if you need a lift to the beach or a waterside watering hole, the staff will scoop you up in a golf cart and cruise you to the coast.
The Wentworth Mansion is so charming, you’ll be drunk on holiday spirit long before the evening brandy, sherry and port are served. Rooms wait to embrace you with gilded-age elegance (and a lavish, but more modern, two-person whirlpool tub). The full gourmet breakfast and afternoon hors d’oeuvres with wine will keep you satiated in your suite, but do yourself a favor and spend at least one hour touring the city in the hotel’s 1928 Model A Ford sport coupe. Yes, really.
86 Cannon is a residential retreat that’ll have even the most ardent city slicker falling in love with Lowcountry living. This historic inn is an adults-only abode, and within walking distance of downtown despite being tucked away on a quiet street. You’ll toast to relaxation with a glass of champagne upon arrival, then lie back in your loft suite until the complimentary wine and cheese pairings are ready.
Charleston is nothing if not a city of romance. And there’s no better spot to feel the pull of its old-world atmosphere than the banks of the Ashley River, scattered with 26 sites listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Marriott puts you right in the heart of this – a cocktail on the hotel’s Aqua Terrace tastes all the better for its wide views of the snaking river.
Wash ashore on Tides at Folly Beach and plant yourself in the sand. No matter which room you store your flip flops in, you’ll have an ocean view greeting you every moment of your stay. The sun and sea breeze are perfect sides to go with your grilled Atlantic salmon at on-site Blu restaurant – but if you feel like you’ve had a few too many fried calamari? Work off those calories with a private surf lesson in the morning.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.