South Carolina’s sultry, sea-breezy city is a must for lovers of timeless style. Discover the best of Charleston’s French Quarter when you book – via Culture Trip – one of these fine hotels in the historic heart of Charleston.
Charleston is steeped in history and tradition, drawing visitors with rich food, scenic beaches and historic sites. Among the must-see landmarks is the French Quarter: the downtown-Charleston district that owes its name to the migration of religious Huguenots to South Carolina from Europe in the late 17th century. Today it’s full of markets, museums, and restaurants – not to mention some excellent hotels. If proximity to the most exciting attractions in Charleston is your priority, check out the best hotels near the city’s French Quarter below – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
On Queen Street, near the best shopping and dining in Charleston, this coral-colored inn is full of atmosphere. Built in 1861, it has kept the original hardwood floors, and while the 26 rooms feel sleek and modern, there’s heritage in the white plantation shutters and soothing blue walls. Standard rooms are comfy cocoons, with king- or queen-size beds, crisp white bedding and blue-patterned throw pillows. Step out and you’re close to Rainbow Row, a photogenic strip of vivid historic homes, as well as Cooper Riverfront, a picturesque waterfront park. If you’ve got the energy, the hotel has free-to-use bikes to help you explore the rest of Charleston.
Looking for an intimate getaway? Fulton Lane Inn might have been made for couples – particularly the rooms with canopy beds, fireplaces and whirlpool tubs built for two. Decor radiates classic appeal: cottage-style white furniture, nautical artwork and snug wall-to-wall carpeting in the sleeping areas. Hospitality reigns here: roll up for the complimentary wine and cheese reception and lie in for the continental breakfast delivered to your room. Then head out for the day. You’re close to several art galleries as well as the South Carolina Aquarium.
Here the devil is in the detail: plush emerald sofas, teal-saturated walls and chestnut leather armchairs. You’ll sleep well in the cozy rooms here, whether you go for a smaller twin or double or the enormous Nomad Suite, perfect for families with its pair of king-size beds. Sample delicious dishes at Frannie & the Fox, the indoor/outdoor Italian restaurant before heading out to sightsee. In the morning, visit the hotel’s Clerks Coffee Company, perfect for handmade lattes and cold brews. Top tip: pop next door for ceviche and grilled swordfish at Hank’s Seafood Restaurant, one of the finest spots in town.
USP here? The Spectator is the only Charleston hotel to offer a personal butler service for guests, a hint that this is a place for lovers of attention to detail. Cast your eye over inviting interiors: cool gray walls, matching window shades and elegant cream-colored couches. Guest rooms continue the rarefied theme with bathrooms offering separate soaking tubs. Head down to The Bar for a jazzy and low-lit vibe as well as to sample the fruity, heady Planter’s Punch as you perch on a leather-tooled stool.
Renovation work took place at this 52-room inn only recently – and it shows. The contemporary guest-room decor feels nautical, warm and inviting, from the cream-colored armchairs to the coastal-chic blue headboards; carpeting mimics the tones of sea and surf. These are spaces to hole up in and switch off – evening milk and cookies are offered. Then again you might want to mingle at the nightly wine and cheese reception or ascend to the rooftop terrace for evening happy hour cocktails. Guests love Harborview for its proximity to Fort Sumter National Monument. Before heading out, ask the front desk for tickets to nearby historic attractions.
The pink exterior of The Mills House is hard to miss – and this is not a place you’d want to pass by. Dating from 1853, it’s a beautiful curiosity, with a refined guestroom palette that channels the ocean: teal-patterned bedding and drapes, tall, surf-white headboards. For good reason, the most popular bookings are the spacious corner rooms with large windows that overlook downtown Charleston. Spend your day lounging by the seasonal pool or explore nearby attractions like the Gibbes Museum of Art or Folly Beach. And be back in time for dinner at the hotel restaurant, Barbados Room, with its menu of regional favorites including shrimp and grits.
Stepping through the doors of Planter’s Inn feels like stepping into a secret garden. The atmospheric courtyard is a thicket of palm trees and potted plants. It’s all very sultry Southern Belle in this upscale place, right down to the look in the bedrooms, suites and apartments: timeless hardwood floors, high ceilings, exposed brick and gentle lighting. Fully equipped kitchens make staying here a no-brainer for families. For couples, the four-poster beds, Italian linens and travertine-marble bathrooms clinch the deal. Other reasons to stay? You’re within walking distance from Dock Street Theater performing-arts venue and White Point Gardens public park.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.