Whether you’re visiting the kids, on an academic trip or just want to bask in the reflected glory of academia, we’ve picked the best accommodation options for your stay near the University of South Carolina – bookable with Culture Trip.
With over 200 years of history and tradition at its foundations, the University of South Carolina crawls across the state. Its main campus is located in the center of Columbia, but the university has a presence in Aiken, Beaufort, Lancaster, Walterboro, Allendale, Sumter and Upstate. Founded as an effort to unite the state after the Civil War, the main campus is now in the heart of the action of downtown Columbia. No matter your budget, we’ve got you covered with the best hotels and B&Bs for a stay nearby.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
10 minutes’ walk from the South Carolina State Museum, and a mile from the Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park, you’ll find funky rooms and fantastic facilities in this great location. This new hotel offers a colorful and bustling bar featuring a fireplace, and other amenities include a terrace, a fitness room and a pool table, along with a kids’ club, coin-operated laundry facilities, plus a range of tasty breakfast options for an additional fee. It’s a practical option near the main Columbia campus for the whole family.
Enjoy the best of both worlds when you visit this bed and breakfast, which offers a mixture of old-world charm and modern convenience, decorated with a mix of antiques and contemporary furniture – all in a restored Southern mansion built in 1912. All rooms feature memory foam mattresses, flat screen TVs with both live and streaming options, free wifi in guest rooms and common areas, and a full Southern breakfast is served every morning around a communal table. The university’s Sumter campus is a stone’s throw away.
Opened in 1910, the historic Partridge Inn, a local institution, has played host to celebrities and presidents since opening its doors. Part of the Curio Collection by Hilton, the sophisticated and well-appointed guest rooms – with light, neutral walls accented by rich, dark decor – feature luxury linens, bath robes, HDTV and beautiful bathrooms. Hotel amenities include a gym, pool and courtyard area, on-site dining, and two bars. Aiken campus is a 25-minute drive away, and Salkehatchie just over an hour away – and there’s golf galore on your doorstep.
Set across from a brewery and next to an urban farm, you’ll find yourself in one of seven cool, industrial chic 1200sqft lofts at Hangar Lofts Hotel. It has features such as exposed brick walls, structural steel beams, concrete floors and countertops – plus oversized commercial-style glass windows with private patios. Formerly hangars servicing Columba’s downtown airport, there are facilities worthy of a first-class lounge, with spa-inspired showers, luxury mattresses and custom-built birch kitchens with Bosch appliances. Ideal if you need a comfy hangout when visiting friends on the Columbia campus.
With everything you’d except from this reliable brand, the Hilton is a two-minute walk to Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center and a 13-minute walk to the South Carolina State Museum. The relaxing bedrooms, decorated in earth tones, have free wifi, floor-to-ceiling windows, granite bathrooms and custom-designed beds. Amenities include a steakhouse restaurant, a cocktail bar, a gym and a heated outdoor pool with hot tub.
Graduate Hotels are always so much fun, but in the classiest of ways. Set in a federal-style, red-brick building opposite the University of South Carolina, the playful yet luxurious rooms in this hip, retro-inspired hotel feature plaids, chevron, and even headboards in the shape of cockerels. The welcoming lobby has bright colors and cheery chintz, with a cafe, Poindexter Coffee, for some fuel. Other amenities include complimentary bikes, a gym and a cool little terrace for socializing.
Unassuming from the outside, this stylish hotel is housed inside three historic buildings combined into one – the first of its kind in all of Downtown Columbia. The impressive accommodation has an industrial edge, with bare brick walls and exposed ceilings – but all the luxurious touches are here, including a boujee bathroom, coffee maker, robes and slippers, and HDTV. Included with your room is a continental breakfast and a welcome drink, plus an opportunity to make new friends with daily evening socials and snacks.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.