From fighter planes and football games to state parks, forests, and timeworn mansions, the city of Columbia, South Carolina, makes for a great trip. Spend the night in a historic cottage, or turn to a martini served up in a bank-vault bar – however you want to experience Columbia, picking the right place to stay is key. Here’s our roundup of the best hotels, inns, B&Bs, and suites around town.
Located close to two major interchanges, the Doubletree Columbia provides a great base for travelers looking for Hilton-standard comfort and convenience in equal measure. Nature lovers will have plenty to do, too, with outdoor spots like the Saluda Shoals Park, Lake Murray, and the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden nearby.
The seven-story, open-atrium Embassy Suites Hotel will send a free shuttle to meet you at the airport and arrange a return journey for you on the day you check out. This kind of thoughtful hospitality is a common touch here – you can even have your breakfast made to order. It’s in a handy spot for exploring Columbia’s top landmarks: the zoo, the Riverbanks Botanical Garden, and the Saluda Riverwalk where you can hire kayaks are all right around the corner.
A stay at Graduate Columbia puts you in the thick of downtown, and right on the University of South Carolina campus. There’s a distinctly local feel about the place, from Gamecock-inspired headboards to portraits of former alum Darius Rucker who went on to form the band Hootie & the Blowfish and is now one of America’s most famous country music singers. Plaids and touches of grasscloth come together in guest rooms, while down in the lobby, bright colors and florals pop against the dark wood paneling. Pick a book from the shelf in the lobby-level cafe, Poindexter Coffee, and learn more about the city’s past over a coffee or two.
The entrance to Hotel Trundle, once home to a Western Auto, greets you with svelte green booth seating, a matte-black, raised-panel feature wall, and a wrap-around staircase painted with roses that look like a grandmother’s cross-stitched pillows. Beyond that, brick walls, exposed ceilings, and metal accents hint further at the hotel’s industrial past. Plus, all of the furniture here – including the beds, the breakfast table, and the reception desk – is custom built by a local craftsman. It’s a testament to Trundle owners Rita and Marcus’s attention to detail, who even go as far as providing each guest with a guidebook full of curated recommendations.
The Marriott offers a well-rounded, upmarket stay with plenty of nods to local culture. The hotel’s restaurant, Midlands’, serves up a slew of classic dishes, like shrimp and grits, fried green tomatoes, and ham hock collard greens. Snag a room with a balcony for a prime view of the capital, or head out and explore it for yourself: the Marriott drops you in the heart of downtown, right by the steps of the Columbia Museum of Art’s Boyd Plaza.
Standing 215ft (65m) high, the Sheraton Columbia Downtown was the tallest building in town when it was constructed in the early 1900s. Originally it was a bank, complete with the vault that now serves as the hotel’s hidden martini bar. The striking façade, made of carved limestone and terracotta, reaches all the way up to the rooftop bar, which overlooks downtown and Main Street below. There’s plenty to keep you entertained nearby: across the street, Granger Owings will suit you up with tailored fits, while Stoner’s Pizza Joint slings slices until the wee hours of the morning.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.