With an abundance of farmland and a close enough proximity to the sea, there’s plenty of fresh food for South Carolina’s best chefs to turn ingredients into meals that are worth writing home about. We’ve rounded up 10 of the best restaurants in Columbia, no matter if you’re looking for something casual or maybe a more upscale dinner.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Il Giorgione Pizzeria and Wine Bar
Bistro, Pizzeria, Wine Bar, Italian, $
Simultaneously fancy and casual, with food that’s both high end and approachable, George and Monica Kessler have created in Il Giorgione a place reminiscent of what one might discover stumbling upon an alleyway in Italy. Their passion for the food they create is evident in the hand-pulled mozzarella cheese and use of San Marzano tomatoes to create simple, rustic dishes that taste authentic, even if you’ve never been to the homeland yourself. Simple but elegant pizza and pasta dishes feature heavily on the menu, with classics like margherita pizza and spaghetti carbonara, plus nightly specials.
Motor Supply Company Bistro
Bistro, Restaurant, Cocktail Bar, Fusion, American, $$
A Columbia dining staple since 1989, Motor, as it’s affectionately known, features a farm-to-table dining experience that changes so frequently the handwritten menus aren’t even available until just before lunchtime each day. Relying on the offerings from local farmers, Chef Wes Fulmer and head barman Josh Streetman create dining and imbibing experiences that etch deeply into diners’ memories, leaving them with memories of an elegant yet relaxed experience that will bring them back for more. Though it comes across as a special-occasion restaurant, Motor also makes for a perfect weeknight dinner or lunch with favorite coworkers.
Lula Drake Wine Parlour
Craft Ale Bar, Restaurant, Wine Bar, Wine Seller, American, $$
History runs deep at Lula Drake, named for a former tenant who owned a hat shop in the same space in the early 1900s. Today, original elements from the building were tediously preserved to lend a hauntingly beautiful and upscale atmosphere to the wine bar with an impeccable menu. Behind the expansive polished wood bar, proprietor and sommelier Tim Gardner can recommend a wine to suit any taste, and he also offers samples for the nascent wine drinker. In the kitchen, Chef Pierce Bowers has a small space and huge imagination in which to work, churning out hand-shaped pastas and other inventive, seasonally driven dishes—compressed heirloom watermelon salad, anyone?
Mai Thai Cuisine
Restaurant, Thai, $
You wouldn’t expect much from seeing this plain-front strip mall restaurant from the road, but upon entering the doors, you’re swept into a modern-cool paradise that smells tantalizingly of garlic, ginger, and cooking meats scenting the air. In addition to a full Thai menu with favorites like drunken noodles and panang curries, Mai Thai also offers a bakery and bubble tea menu for a sweet experience from start to finish.
The Devine Cinnamon Roll Deli
Bakery, Sandwich Shop, Restaurant, American
People stand in line nearly daily at this deli for more than cinnamon rolls, because everything on the menu is worth it. Inventive meat-vegetable-cheese combinations atop a fluffy bun, zippy salads, and of course, the deceivingly named mini cinni rolls keep people coming back and telling their friends to come, too. Owned by mother-and-son team Jody and Richard Kreush, these locals give their dishes amusing names, like the Aunt Patty Melt, which is composed of rye bread, Swiss cheese, roast beef, grilled onion, and a choice of sauce—just like your own favorite aunt.
Bar, Restaurant, American, Cajun, $
A shrine to the whiskey variation, Bourbon houses more than 400 types of bourbon and makes damn good cocktails out of them. There are also some bourbons so smooth it would be a crime not to enjoy them neat. A large lit sign on the wall encourages all to “drink.” The chef-driven, Cajun-Creole menu perfectly complements the saloon-style space and brings a spicy flair from the Gulf up to the central Carolinas.
Hunter-Gatherer Brewery & Alehouse
Bar, Restaurant, Craft Ale Bar, American, $
Before craft beer was cool—way before, in fact—Hunter-Gatherer was churning out house-made beers in huge metal tanks right behind the bar and in front of all of the tables in the entire restaurant. Upscale, imaginative food choices have always been paired with the staple beers, which have changed so little that owner and brewer Kevin Varner has gotten them down to a science. The kitchen serves up a combination of staple favorites like its ESB black bean dip, infused with its ESB beer, and inventive seasonal dishes that make use of local meats and vegetables.
A Peace of Soul Vegan Kitchen
Cafe, Restaurant, American, Vegan, $
Veganism isn’t the biggest trend in the South, but the restaurant formerly known as Lamb’s Bread has been a vegan paradise for those who are of that persuasion and even those who aren’t with its imaginative use of fresh vegetables and vegetable proteins. Using special methods, it is able to make vegan versions of wings, barbecue, burgers, and sausages that would satisfy any carnivore. Its soul food twist on healthy cooking and its mac and cheez is not to be missed.
Bar, Restaurant, Craft Ale Bar, American, $
If you know that a war mouth is a type of freshwater fish, you’ll know what you’re in for at War Mouth. Southern cooking techniques and ingredients are the star here, and the chef and bartender keep the menu interesting with seasonally rotating ingredients, even changing out items and adding specials by the week to accommodate the freshest ingredients. War Mouth features traditional South Carolina fishes like chicken bog and catfish, and has a barbecue plate mix with inventive pickle plates and pimento cheese smashed potatoes for a true taste of Columbia.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.