Known as the ‘front porch of the Lowcountry,’ Walterboro has a main street lined with shops that will take you back in time.
Established in 1826, Walterboro is home to some of the most well-priced antiques in the South. The small-town Americana atmosphere boasts shop after shop with prices half the cost of what you’ll find in Charleston, and less than an hour away.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Four historical buildings constructed in 1927 house 21 vendors at this antiques mall. Curated sections range from vintage home decor to military memorabilia. If you’ve got your own collection, bring it by to get appraised by one of the vendors who specialize in coins and silver. “You can always find traditional Charleston pieces here, too,” says co-owner Linda Godwin, who runs the shop with two other retired residents who all share an affinity for unusual items. From old tools and vintage signs to turn-of-the-century kitchen items and crystal glassware, it’s hard not to lose track of time rummaging through each little shop.
This restored eight-room Victorian cottage feels like walking into a welcoming home packed with goods that tell the story of South Carolina. Peruse contemporary items made with traditional artisan techniques, such as indigo-dyed pieces, Gullah ceramics and sweetgrass baskets. Pop in for a live demonstration on one of these customs at the monthly Handmade Series, where artists demonstrate and converse about their work. The shop also features artwork for sale from more than 300 of the state’s juried artists, earning it the title of the ‘Official South Carolina Folk Art and Craft Center.’
Sift through records from the 1980s while lounging on brightly colored couches from the 1960s at this funky corner shop that loves all things retro. Old film cameras, Coca-Cola signs, classic bikes and FM radios are sprinkled throughout, and it’s a fun place to stop in, even if only to take a trip down memory lane.
More than just Southern antiques, Tillman’s Gallery specializes in early and authentic art from around the world. Expect African pieces from the Ivory Coast and oil paintings from Europe and Asia. For any item priced over $200, Tillman’s Gallery also offers payment plans with no interest. The owner is known for traveling to estate sales to find high-end pieces and reselling them at affordable prices, and if an item needs restoring, he probably knows someone for the job.
While you can’t take anything home from this spot, the Colleton Museum offers a spirited example of the South’s immaculate logging of history through antiques. The museum displays a jukebox from 1928, high-end garments belonging to women of the Victorian era, an 18th-century town car and a recreated scene of an old-time drugstore, complete with an oak wall crank telephone and iron register. All of this, which also includes displays that reflect on the Civil and Revolutionary Wars, the ACE Basin and plantation-era relics – has landed the museum on the National Register of Historic Places.
A hand-carved dollhouse, classic steam train set, wooden winter sled and wicker porch rocker are all one-of-a-kind items that have been found at this antique haven. The owners frequently post new pieces online, giving customers a chance to claim the goods before visiting the store. Different vendors display items from around the South, keeping the inventory fresh and ever-changing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.