Its origins might be in Italy, but Rhode Island has definitely got the frozen lemonade market covered. It’s Little Rhody’s quintessential summertime drink, and wherever you go in the state, you’re bound to find a shop, truck or cart selling the refreshing treat. Here’s a round-up of the very best spots to try the state’s iconic beverage.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Del’s is undoubtedly Rhode Island’s most iconic vendor of the state’s favorite frozen treat. In fact, it was founder Angelo DeLucia’s grandfather that first introduced the drink to the state when he emigrated from Italy at the turn of the century – and since first opening in Cranston in 1948, the business has grown to several franchises dotted far and wide, from New York to California. There are seven flavors to choose from — watermelon, peach-mango, lemon-lime, cherry, grapefruit, blueberry and lemon. Whatever the flavor, it’s best enjoyed the Rhode Island way with a salty pretzel stick.
As its name suggests, Crazy Burger is better known for its delicious burgers more than anything, and with fancy versions like the Luna-Sea (ground salmon and pistachio pesto baked in phyllo pastry) and the Baa-Baa burger (ground lamb with feta cheese), they certainly are a gourmet treat indeed. But don’t leave without washing down your burger with a beverage or two from its juice bar; there are smoothies, fresh juice, milkshakes and, of course, frozen lemonade. Made with freshly squeezed lemons, fruit purees and simple syrup, there are ten flavors to choose from, including lemon, strawberry, ginger and basil.
For a more grown-up take on a classic frozen lemonade, head over to Ballard’s Inn — a lively restaurant, bar and hotel over on the state’s best-loved vacation spot, picturesque Block Island. Among classic cocktails like the frozen margarita and the Dark and Stormy, you’ll also find Citron Del’s Lemonade — Del’s classic frozen lemonade flavor mixed with citron vodka. While there, you might as well try another local favorite – the mudslide. It’s practically the island’s official drink, and Ballard’s mixes their version with fresh island-grown berries.
Opened in Providence in 1974, Mr. Lemon has been serving frozen lemonade treats from its iconic little shack for over 40 years, and with its massive range of flavors, it’s not hard to see why the business has lasted so long. Flavors change on a weekly basis, and on any given day, you’ll find familiar varieties like lemon, watermelon and peach alongside fancy concoctions like pineapple crush, tutti frutti and vanilla. Mr. Lemon’s is a seasonal operation, however, so make sure to stop by between April and September to avoid disappointment.
MOO-Mobile Ice Cream & Frozen Lemonade Truck
With MOO-Mobile Ice Cream & Frozen Lemonade Truck, the frozen treats come to you. Alongside its range of traditional frozen lemonades — choose from lemon, wild cherry, wacky watermelon, mango and bangin’ blue raspberry — it also serves all you’d expect from an ice cream parlor on wheels, from cones and sundaes to popsicles and root beer floats. You can catch the truck across Rhode Island at parks and festivals, but MOO-Mobile is also available for hire at private events like parties, weddings and fundraisers, and if you absolutely can’t wait for your frozen lemonade fix, you can take advantage of their house-call service.
Palagis Ice Cream
Amazingly, Palagis has been serving its legendary ice creams in the Blackstone Valley region for 120 years. In that time, it has grown from a one-man horse-and-wagon operation to a fleet of 25 trucks that can be found in various neighborhoods across the state between April and September. In addition to its range of ice cream — think flavors like cookie dough, cotton candy, French vanilla and rum raisin — Palagis also serves a variety of frozen lemonades, including traditional lemon, mango, blue raspberry, watermelon and the must-try tiger’s blood, a mix of strawberry and banana.
It’s not strictly frozen, nor is it strictly lemonade, but Narragansett Beer’s collaboration with Del’s marked the coming together of two of Rhode Island’s most iconic companies. The pair first came together in 2014 to produce Narragansett Del’s Shandy, a mix of the brewery’s flagship lager and Del’s lemon concentrate. They came together again in summer of 2015 when they released Narrangansett Del’s Black Cherry Shandy, accompanied by a non-alcoholic black cherry-flavored frozen lemonade sold at Del’s stands throughout Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts. Here’s hoping they’ll produce another mash-up in the future.
New England Frozen Lemonade
Family-owned and operated since 1960, New England Frozen Lemonade is now in its third generation, but one thing hasn’t changed — its winning recipe. Available in lemon, watermelon and cherry flavor, New England Frozen Lemonade adds a touch of lemon zest to each cup for the perfect citrusy tang. Their Providence location is the oldest, but there’s a small stand in neighboring Warwick too, and you can catch them at many local summer hot spots and events, including Roger Williams Park Zoo and the Bristol 4th of July Celebration.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.