The best boutique and luxury hotels near Highland Park in Pittsburgh honor the unique heritage of Steel City through minor details and grandiose tributes – and they’re bookable on Culture Trip.
Pittsburgh is a city with a rich history, from its gilded era during the steel and coal mining days when the waterways made it ideal for transport. Nowadays, Pittsburgh is a trendy city where you can enjoy a vast diversity of culinary options, arts, theater and sporting events. Many historic buildings have been converted into upscale, sophisticated hotels that seamlessly blend the city’s legacy with modern travel needs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The exquisite Kimpton Hotel Monaco is in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, about 15 minutes’ drive from Highland Park, boldly designed with unexpected pops of bright colors and patterns, unique sculptures and artwork throughout – and rather whimsical details. Despite being a luxury property fit for the swankiest of guests, the vibe is very welcoming here and pays homage to the humble roots of this steel town. Enjoy one of their dozens of German beers on the rooftop Biergarten or updated American cuisine in their posh restaurant.
You’ll feel like you’re in an old Hollywood movie when you stay at the Omni William Penn. To be fair, it’s hosted dozens of movie stars and celebrities within its walls over the last 100 years. The hotel has recently undergone a massive renovation, bringing the Grande Dame of Pittsburgh up to the standards of the discerning modern luxury traveler – while maintaining its classic glamorous design. Omni Willian Penn has repeatedly received awards for its culinary offerings – so be sure to book a Saturday High Tea in their historic Terrace Room.
From the moment you step into the lobby with gold tufted walls and mirrored furniture, you’ll know you’ve made the right choice booking Hotel Indigo. The hip boutique hotel has beautifully designed rooms with hardwood floors, bold color details and touches of design that pay homage to the theatrical history of the neighborhood. Between the spa-like bathrooms and ultra-comfortable beds, your room becomes a personal oasis after a day of exploring the city, with Highland Park just under 1.5mi (2.4km) away.
The midcentury-modern design of the Distrikt Hotel beautifully honors the industrial history of Steel City. The hotel has cool blue, gray and, of course, black and gold hues throughout the lobby and rooms. The hotel is within walking distance of all major attractions – and the rooftop terrace provides a marvelous view of the city, which is especially magical at night.
A particularly perfect hotel for guests traveling for work, Cambria Pittsburgh, in the business district, has considered every detail for a convenient stay. The business center with printing, fax/copy and mailing services is open 24 hours. Meet coworkers in the spacious lobby – with furniture laid out with meetings in mind or after work for happy hour in the hotel bar. The rooms are oversized with comfy beds and blackout drapes to assure you’ll wake up refreshed and ready to close a deal.
This historic building was once a Benedictine monastery and still has gorgeous vaulted cathedral ceilings. The rooms and common areas are filled with antique furniture but are updated to provide all the necessities for the modern traveler – like high-speed internet and a business and fitness center. Enjoy a drink in the Victorian courtyard and garden or at the hotel bar, appropriately named the Monk. The hospitality and friendly service you’ll receive here are at levels only achieved by small family-owned and operated properties.
Inside the historic Fulton Building in the Cultural District, Marriott Renaissance is a great place to stay for a concert, theatrical performance or hockey game at Heinz Field. The lobby is imposing with large arches and a mezzanine balcony – while the rooms are elegant and stylish with modern furniture and pops of bright colors. Enjoy views of downtown and the Allegheny River from your room or one of the delicious dining options available at the hotel.
As the name suggests, Mansions on Fifth is a converted grandiose residence from the Golden Era of Pittsburgh – at the turn of the last century. The opulent and sophisticated decor will make you feel like you’ve traveled back in time to a simpler yet more glamorous life. Just 3mi (5km) south of Highland Park, a stay at the mansion is an escape from the high-demand, hectic pace of modern life and a luxurious place to unplug and unwind. The renovated boutique hotel has few guest rooms, which assures personalized attention from the very friendly hotel staff.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.