Whether you’re looking for a family adventure or romantic couples’ retreat, the best resorts in the Poconos, Pennsylvania, deliver. Book your stay with Culture Trip.
Lakes, peaks, valleys and more await you in the Pocono Mountains. This four-seasons getaway is a popular escape for both thrill seekers and laid-back loungers. Zip-lining, snowtubing and wave riding can be broken up with golf, spa days and coffee breaks set against mountain backdrops. For the perfect Appalachian vacation, let one of these picturesque resorts take the strain.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The good news is that the Mount Airy Casino and Resort is within footsteps of the fairytale-pretty Woodland Trail and Marry Hill Trail. The bad news is that you’ll be so distracted by the in-house assets at the resort that you’ll forget all about them. It may be the slot machines, where you can crank hours away before realizing you’re late for your tee-time at the 18-hole golf course, or that you’re so blissed-out in the spa you miss the start of the live entertainment at the event center. You’ll just have to tick the trails off next time.
You want to hit the ski slopes, but the kids want to splash about? No worries – the Camelback Lodge & Aquatopia Indoor Waterpark offers the best of both worlds. Spend the morning on the pistes, before returning to base for a swim and splash in the waterpark. Throw in a ride on the mountain coaster or zipline through the trees, and you can bank on perma-grins all around. Want a little time to yourself? Send the kids down to the arcade then sneak off to the spa for a massage.
Need to break away from the day-to-day city pace? Just 90 minutes from both the Big Apple and Philly, Mountain Springs Lake Resort has serenity-restoring fresh air on tap. You’ll feel worlds away from the gleam of skyscrapers and the hum of inner-city traffic on the banks of the private 72-acre (29ha) resort lake, though you may hear a few locals ooh-ahhing their way around the 2mi (3km) hiking trail skirting the water’s edge. Want to take a shortcut? Your cottage comes with a rowboat to cruise across the lake in minutes.
It’s about to get mighty steamy in the couples-only Paradise Stream Resort, and we don’t just mean in the heart-shaped hot tubs. Swim in the bliss of a 7ft (2m) tall champagne tower before joining your beau in the spa for a couples’ massage. You’ll always find a concert, comedy set or other fun show on the calendar, but if you prefer a little privacy in your evening, there’s plenty of room for two to stare up at the celestial ceilings from your round king-size bed.
You surely won’t be able to explore all 1,500 acres (607ha) of the Woodloch Pines Resort grounds, but that won’t stop your kids from trying. They’ll be able to make their way around via go karts, bumper boats, ice skates and zip lines. They’ll even be able to scour any territory they’ve missed by scaling the six-sided rock wall. Feeling exhausted just thinking about it? Gigi’s Coffee House will keep you pepped-up throughout the duration of your stay.
Your stay at Skytop Lodge can be meticulously planned or absolutely impromptu with a 5,500-acre (2226ha) playground just begging to be explored. A full daily schedule of activities – from crafts to guided hikes, hayrides to beer tastings – allow you to curate your own itinerary. Prefer to wander wherever the wind blows you? The treetop adventure course, paintball field and award-winning golf course allow you to come and go as you please.
The Woodlands Inn is both an escape into nature and a mini city break rolled into one. Wilkes-Barre stylists will get you ready for dancing at the hotel nightclub, or for night gambling at the Downs at Mohegan Sun casino. When you’d rather get away from the fun, the nearby hiking trails will take you deep into state parks where you’ll forget how close you are to this former industrial city.
Sit atop the mountain at Stroudsmoor Country Inn and get ready to explore 30,000 acres (12,141ha) of the Cherry Valley National Wildlife Refuge on foot, horseback, mountain bikes or skis. You’ll be just as in love with your antique-adorned suite, outfitted with a private balcony, fireplace, wet bar and whirlpool tub. Don’t miss out on a chance to venture into the charming town, making a special stop at the Stroudsmoor Inn Towne Bakery Cafe for scratch-made Italian butter cookies and fruits of the forest pies.
Your condo at Tanglwood Resort somehow manages to feel isolated in the forest yet right beside every fantastic amenity. Their condos are set in clusters across their 7mi (11km) property, limiting your number of neighbors yet still keeping you within a few minutes of the recreation center, sports complex and arcade. Imagine spending the day on Lake Wallenpaupack then cooking up a family dinner in your condo. The simultaneous feeling of at-home living and resort excitement can be summed up in one word: bliss.
No need to lace your walking shoes too tight at Echo Valley Cottages; you’ll find this casual hotel has plenty of do without leaving the property. Morning swims and evening campfires bookend a day spent fishing in their pond and putting through their mini-golf course. Add in a few minutes at the toddler playground or throwing around the old pigskin and you’ve got a fun-yet-relaxing day with your cottage still in view.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.