The Cleveland Museum of Art has been treating art lovers to special events and historic collections from across the globe for over a century. Best of all, it’s completely free to the public.
Whether you’re a tourist or Ohio local, an art aficionado or just looking for a fun date or afternoon with the kids, the Cleveland Museum of Art is a must-see in the city’s east side University Circle neighborhood, within the Wade Park District.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Cleveland Museum of Art, founded in 1913, opened its doors in 1916. Its stated mission was to provide artistic experiences “for the benefit of all people forever.” To that end, the museum’s founders established endowments that still allow it to be accessible to all for free. The museum has only had nine directors (the current being William M. Griswold, named in 2014) and has consistently upheld its long-stated goal of being one of Ohio’s premier cultural, artistic, and civic institutions.
One of the Cleveland Museum of Art’s most popular collections is its extensive decorative arts exhibit, which features ornate Fabergé eggs and miniatures and glasswork, including stunning lamps designed by John Comfort Tiffany. Elaborate 18th-century French furniture, 18th-century Chinese porcelain, Italian Maiolica (painted pottery), and European silver, ceramics, and enamel round out the collection.
Overall, the Cleveland Museum of Art boasts nearly 45,000 art pieces from over 6,000 years of history. It’s particularly known for its Asian and African art collections.
One particularly notable exhibit features a wide array of Islamic art from Turkey, Egypt, Syria, Iran, and Iraq, especially those pieces from the 8th through 17th centuries. Miniature paintings, ceramic mosaics, and over 450 textiles provide visitors with an introduction to the long history of Muslim art and architecture, including calligraphy, iconography, and geometric patterns created with colored tiles.
The contemporary art collection at the Cleveland Museum of Art features work from the 1960s to the present day. Andy Warhol, Louise Bourgeois, Gabriel Orozco, and Mark Rothko are some of the display’s highlights.
If you’re visiting the museum with kids, check out the ARTLens Gallery, an interactive experience that uses the power of technology to allow visitors to create artwork of their own and enjoy masterpieces up close and personal. You can also take stroller tours designed for you and your little ones to have an inspiring day at the museum together. Art Stories, which feature story time at the museum followed by gallery tours designed with kids in mind, takes place every Thursday morning.
In addition to the regular displays and guided tours, the Cleveland Museum of Art also hosts frequent special events, such as talkbacks from local artists, lectures, film screenings, music and other live performances, and classes. On specific nights, MIX opens up the museum to the public for specialty cocktails, dancing, and special exhibitions.
The Cleveland Museum of Art is open on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The museum is closed on Mondays. If you’re at the museum during mealtime, brunch, lunch, and dinner are available at the on-site Provenance Café.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.