The West Asheville neighborhood has exploded in recent years, with locally-owned restaurants, bars, and shops vying for the hearts of locals steering clear of the massive tourism happening downtown. No skyscrapers or chain hotels tower over Haywood Road, West Asheville’s main street that curves over two miles and connects this eclectic neighborhood to the city’s River Arts District. Here’s how to spend 24 hours in West Asheville exploring Asheville’s other downtown.
Late morning: breakfast tacos and people-watching
Like any good hipster city, Asheville is brimming with tacos of all kinds, so start your day with breakfast tacos at Taco Billy. This tiny taco shop serves their classic breakfast tacos all day filled with sausage, home fries, sweet potatoes, or bacon, including Mama’s Favorite, served on a plantain tortilla. Then, stop next door at Star Shine Station, the first of several consignment shops that exist in West Asheville. Depending on the time, Urban Orchard Cider Co. deserves a stop. This coffeehouse-style cider bar has about a dozen taps featuring their unique housemade hard ciders including a coffee collaboration made with Last Dance Cold Brew, a chocolate-covered strawberry cider, and others spiked with chilis or persimmons. Great appetizers, too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Next, pop into Villagers, an adorable garden, home and farm store that will inspire you to tackle more DIY projects. Attend a cool class about fermenting alcohol or the power of digestive bitters or just pick up a book about homesteading. Across the street, you’ll find an interconnected complex that houses a brewery, pizza joint, bakery and coffee shop, and a small Asian restaurant that share a courtyard. Stop here for nibbles or caffeine, or continue down Haywood Road to BattleCat Coffee Bar, a funky former cottage turned coffee spot for prime people-watching in their front courtyard. From here, head to Harvest Records, the go-to place for vinyl, that has been serving music-centric Asheville for almost 15 years.
Ready for lunch? Cross the street and check out King Daddy’s Chicken and Waffle that shares owners with Early Girl Eatery, one of downtown’s most popular breakfast and lunch spots. At King Daddy’s, they serve up chicken and waffles in new ways, with your pick of chicken styles such as Korean, habanero sweet potato, or heirloom paired with your choice of classic, pumpkin, vegan, pork cracklin’, or cornmeal waffles. A fun drink menu divided into sparkling, easy, or stiff drinks also deserves consideration. King Daddy’s shares a storefront with Second Gear, an outdoor consignment shop filled with clothes, shoes, and accessories for campers, hikers, bikers, and watersport fans.
Afternoon: quirky bar crawl and more
One reason West Ashevillians love to live in this neighborhood are the dive bars. Start at Fleetwood’s on Haywood, described as a bar, vintage shop, and wedding chapel. Order a brew and sift through the records, art, and vintage clothing, then stop next door at the Desoto Lounge for ping pong, pinball, and PBRs while you nibble on their delicious bacon-wrapped dates. Across the street, two of West Asheville’s newest hotspots, The Whale craft beer bar, and farm-to-table Haywood Commons, are housed inside a mural-covered brick building and have great outdoor patios.
The next section of Haywood is residential until you reach another stretch of renovated storefronts that house Haywood Comics, Local 604 bottle shop, and the outspoken cooperative bookstore, Firestorm, that hosts a range of socially-minded groups and authors. Then, continue on to Oyster House Brewing Company that specializes in oysters and oyster-brewed stouts before stopping at another popular consignment shop, Twice Round, jam-packed with vintage clothing, hats, and jewelry.
Evening: live music and a gas station bar
Time your day out to hit the rest of West Asheville in the evening, as the next section of Haywood Road has several music venues including The Mothlight, Isis Restaurant and Music Hall, the Odditorium, and UpCountry Brewing. To fill time pre-shows, do some more shopping at “hippie shop” Instant Karma or consignment shop Reciprocity. Or, pick up local art at Westside Artist Co-Op, home to more than 40 local artists and makers. Plenty of awesome dinner choices including Foothills Butcher Bar, upscale Jargon, and burger spot Universal Joint provide tasty refueling spots. Sports bar fans should make time to play a game of pool or shuffleboard at Westville Pub or The Anchor Bar, or play cornhole at Brew Pump, a window-service bar inside a gas station.
Next morning: breakfast round two
A visit to West Asheville deserves at least two breakfasts out, so choose between Sunny Point Cafe or Biscuit Head. Both places are slammed during peak hours, but the wait is worth it. Sunny Point has huge portions including four-egg omelets and hearty breakfast entrees, while Biscuit Head literally serves breakfast sandwiches on massive “cathead” biscuits. Go for the gravy flight with your choice of three scratch-made gravies and sauces, including a gravy of the day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.