Asheville, North Carolina, has a lot going for it. Aside from its vibrant art and music scenes, craft-beer breweries and exciting foodie offerings, from foraging tours to innovative restaurant concepts, it’s a great place to holiday with your four-legged friend. Here’s our pick of the best pet-friendly hotels in town – bookable with Culture Trip.
Surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, Asheville opens up to a network of hiking trails and adventures. Even its biggest attraction, the Biltmore, has 8,000 acres (3,237ha) of land to run and frolic around, and your dog will love it too. After a day of exploring, relax in one of the hotels below, where pets are always welcome.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This 513-room hotel stands like a giant gingerbread house in the folds of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You’ll find it hard to pull yourself away from its facilities, including an 18-hole Donald Ross-designed mountain golf course, an enormous spa, six tennis courts and both indoor and outdoor pools. The restaurants, including Edison for Southern comfort food, live up to the city’s revered culinary scene. And, crucially, the hotel allows you to bring two dogs up to 60lb (27kg) each for an additional fee.
With three floors and 75 rooms, this small hotel has a lot to offer, including welcoming pets – one per room for an additional fee per stay. The Courtyard by Marriott Asheville is an excellent choice whether you want to explore the great outdoors or the downtown area with your furry family member, as it’s about 5mi (8km) from either destination. The spacious rooms are modern and come with a mini-fridge; many also offer mountain views.
You and your pooch will get a warm welcome from the friendly staff at the Foundry Hotel Asheville. While the look is of a super-stylish city warehouse conversion, the vibe is a chilled-out one. Sitting within a historical cornerstone known as the Block, a former central business district, the rooms have all the technology and bare-brick walls you’d expect, along with marble bathrooms. The restaurant feeds off its own herb garden, while the outdoor firepits and seating allow al fresco nights to run into the early hours.
If space rates high on your hotel checklist, the Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville really delivers. Its 125 acres (51ha) include a nine-hole golf course, dog-friendly walking trails and the Asheville Adventure Center for zipline treetop fun for the entire family. Within a short drive, you’ll be at the North Carolina Arboretum, botanical gardens inside the Pisgah National Forest, and the Blue Ridge Parkway, a stretch of road known for its natural beauty. Roll those windows down and enjoy a blast of fresh mountain air.
This off-the-chart grand Autograph Collection hotel welcomes dogs of any size (up to two per booking) for an additional fee. It provides treats and bowls at check-in, and you can walk your dogs at the Biltmore estate across the street. The hotel itself is full-on decadent, full of antique curios and Tudor-inspired character, along with a moody bar and an art gallery. Unwind at the Poseidon Spa or in your in-room deep-soak bath before a hearty dinner at the Red Stag Grill.
This modern and stylish hotel describes itself as an “equal-opportunity pet haven,” welcoming all animals from cats and dogs to parakeets for no extra fee. Four-legged (or winged) guests get a welcome bag at check-in full of yummy treats and toys curated by the local Patton Avenue Pet Company. As for humans, the hotel sits in the buzzy downtown area and has a craft cocktail bar and a restaurant. All 128 rooms are calming retreats and feature work by Asheville artist Catherine Murphy.
With an Aloft hotel, you are guaranteed style and substance. Surrounded by mountains, this hotel in the heart of downtown Asheville features the hip W XYZ Bar, Starbucks coffee and an outdoor pool. Rooms are modern with pillowy signature beds, walk-in showers and city or mountain views. As for pets, two are welcome for no extra fee, and pet beds, treats and bowls are available for free upon request.
Housed in what was the first department store, Bon Marche, in the city, this classic hotel has the best food, art, theatre, music and beer nearby. Enjoy complimentary champagne when you check into one of the hotel’s big and well-designed rooms, with Gilchrist & Soames toiletries and loofahs provided. Furry friends are welcome for a small fee, and treats will be provided every night.
There’s a strong love for living creatures here. Not only is this hotel pet-friendly, but to promote sustainability, it also keeps bee boxes on the roof in conjunction with the local Bee Institute. From the lobby, set out and explore the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains through hiking, rafting and ziplining. Back at the hotel, there’s a huge swimming pool and a sweeping patio with firepits and incredible views. Bring up to two dogs with you for an additional fee.
This Country Inn and Suites by Radisson is the perfect base for your Asheville adventures. It’s close to key roads stretching up into the Blue Ridge Mountains and activities such as hiking, ziplining, kayaking, whitewater rafting and fly fishing. The hotel has an impressive gym, an indoor pool and a veranda, and if you want to visit the vibrant downtown area, it also offers a shuttle service. Pets won’t be left out in the cold either, as the hotel accepts two dogs of any size for an additional fee per stay for each pet.
Looking for more plush places for you and your furry friend to stay? Check our our guide to the best pet-friendly hotels in North Carolina, bookable with Culture Trip
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.