An essential stop on your road trip in the Deep South, romantic Asheville is a hotspot for architecture, food and outdoorsy pursuits. It’s also home to some charming boutique hotels. Here’s our pick of the best Asheville hotels – bookable with Culture Trip.
Asheville, North Carolina, sitting between the Great Smokies and the Blue Ridge Mountains, is a vibrant city. Here, you can start the day by strolling past elegant Beaux-Arts mansions, spend the afternoon hiking part of the Appalachian Trail and end it by soaking up the Southern hospitality at a farm-to-table restaurant or exclusive supper club. It’s an underrated breather on your way to America’s more shouted-about stops in the South.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Downtown Asheville is the place to find hipster-concept restaurants, cold-brew coffee specialists and craft breweries (one of its nicknames is Beer City USA). It’s also where you’ll find the Windsor Boutique Hotel, a striking, canopied restored structure with plush, maximalist interiors set against exposed brick and unpolished wood floors softened by thick rugs and jazzy throw pillows. Elsewhere at this Asheville boutique hotel, a bijou urban spa is on hand for aromatherapy massages and post-hike foot scrubs.
“Boutique” and “motel” might sound like an oxymoron, but the Beaucatcher nails the concept. Rooms are rather basic at this motel in Asheville, with greige bedspreads, clashing red curtains and graphic-print carpets, but on the communal front, it has a sunny courtyard with a firepit and barbecue, locally sourced toiletries and coffee, and a cute bar with a focus on local beers. Set just off Tunnel Road, a five-minute drive from the city center, this is a no-frills, good-times spot that has everything you need for a short stay.
This distinctive 1920s inn has lashings of character and nostalgic American charm. Rooms are simple but polished, with pretty wooden furniture and foam mattresses, while the suites have kitchenettes with Nespresso machines. It’s also a local brunch spot – with an in-house chef – meaning that the inclusive breakfast is top quality. Surrounded by tree-lined avenues and huge houses with distinctive white verandas in historic Chestnut Hill, this boutique hotel in Asheville is only a 25-minute walk from downtown, a foodie haven.
As one of the most romantic hotels in Asheville, Haywood Park is the couples’ choice thanks to its sumptuous modern rooms in duck-egg blue and pale gold, chic plant-filled lobby and decadent restaurants – a ritzy French bistro and a daiquiri-blitzing Cuban joint, to be exact. Right in sought-after downtown, it’s the perfect option if you’re interested in digging into the city center, whether for shopping, craft-beer tasting or restaurant-hopping your way around this sociable quarter.
Hotel Indigo is the no-frills, no-fuss base for a younger crowd who wants all of the amenities – valet parking, a 24-hour snack bar, a gym – but isn’t bothered about excessive opulence. Spend the night in smart rooms with bright feature walls and mini-fridges. From here, you can head out on easy-reach hikes by day and into the grid of downtown bars by night (you’re right on the edge of it). Accessible rooms with wider doorways, roll-in showers and TTY facilities for guests with hearing loss make it a warm welcome for all.
One of Asheville’s key sights is the Historic Biltmore Village, one of the best places to stay in Asheville is set around a whimsical château-style mansion built in the late 19th century. Across the street is the Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, a similarly faux-historical hotel, this time aping a Tudor hunting lodge – but done with great charm, style and coziness. Here, you can tuck into a hearty steak amid the logs and antlers of the Red Stag Grill or stop by the upmarket Poseidon Spa for a neuromuscular massage or custom facial.
On the outskirts of town, in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Omni Grove Park Inn is a country-clubby retreat for pool lounging (both indoor and outdoor), peak-view wine-tasting dinners and sunset hikes through the landscape. It’s home to an 18-hole golf course and a luxurious spa – voted one of the best in the country – which takes full advantage of the rugged surroundings with mineral baths, a cavernous grotto pool and fire-lit outdoor lounges perfect for relaxing.
A reimagined steel foundry of boxy, red-brick buildings and vast industrial windows, this sharply designed number lies on the edge of downtown. Style hunters sit out on the lantern-lit terraces and sip nightcaps underneath exposed lightbulbs in the lounge, with every glossy black edge and charcoal accent chair tailored around the handsome bones of the building. Don’t miss the chance to try Appalachian soul food – short ribs, fried catfish, grits – at Benne on Eagle, the on-site restaurant.
Looking for something a little more indulgent? Read our guide to Asheville’s most luxurious lodgings – bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.