Located on the east side of Manhattan, Murray Hill is one of those rare New York neighborhoods that has managed to retain all its local charm. Hidden amidst the steel and concrete, this quiet, riverside enclave is within walking distance of major New York City landmarks like the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center and the Museum of Modern Art – ideal for sightseers who want to stay away from the crowds. Here’s our pick of the best hotels in Murray Hill, New York City, all bookable with Culture Trip.
The product of an innovative refurbishment of the Colony Arcade – a former hat factory and Prohibition-era tea room – this hotel boasts an attention to detail matched only by the milliners who stitched the elegant hats many years before. Stay in one of the stylish loft rooms with soaring ceilings to immerse yourself in more than 100 years of Garment District history. When you need to refuel, grab a table at the highly esteemed Parker and Quinn restaurant or hit the rooftop bar for cocktails with unrivaled views.
Welcome to one of the best hotels in New York City according to Condé Nast. Expect chic, contemporary style, impeccable service and world-class dining, all within a stone’s throw of famed local attractions such as the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. Dine at the on-site Michelin-star restaurant, Ai Fiori, which celebrates the tastes of the French and Italian Rivieras, followed by an artisan cocktail at the hotel’s award-winning bar.
Just steps away from iconic landmarks, including the Empire State Building, Kitano offers a tranquil oasis from the hustle and bustle of city life. Traditional Eastern style meets modern Western hospitality in New York City’s finest boutique hotel, where you can expect a wealth of luxury services, including valet parking. Be sure to dine on fresh sushi and sashimi at Hakubai restaurant before gathering at the bar to enjoy world-class jazz performances with a well-deserved nightcap.
Library Hotel certainly lives up to its name: boasting a collection of over 6,000 books, this is the perfect retreat for any lover of literature. The books and artwork in each of the 60 guest rooms honor a category of the Dewey Decimal library classification system, from Philosophy and Religion to Math and Science. After a long day of exploring New York City, flip open one of the 50-to-150 titles in your room to walk with the dinosaurs, journey into the land of fairytales or learn about the stars. The adventures are endless!
Iconic New York City style is encapsulated at this luxury address, which combines artful design with warm natural light. Inspired by natural harmony, the rooms are bright, airy and perfect for relaxing after a day of exploration. Physical and mental wellness are priorities here: make use of the in-room yoga mat to practice poses in the comfort of your room or take advantage of the hotel’s gym and sauna. Overlooking Bryant Park, this stay places you at the center of Midtown Manhattan, where you can soak up the buzz of city life right outside your window.
Rooms at Arlo NoMad let the view take center stage, with Midtown’s tallest, sleekest skyscrapers soaring in all directions. When you step back, you’ll notice absolutely no compromise in the decor either: 1970s-style chestnut wood furnishings add a sense of personality, while Blind Barber products in the bathrooms mean luxurious showers even if you forget your toiletries. Dining comes by the way of Middle Eastern restaurant Lamalo or late-night pizzas from the 24-hour Bodega in the lobby. After you’ve eaten, wet your whistle at downstairs BARlo – a ’60s-style, Mad Men-esque underground bar – or if the weather permits, at the rooftop A.R.T. NoMad, where you can toast your incredible choice of hotel among the twinkling skyscrapers of NYC.
A modern boutique hotel, the William features 33 rooms designed with a monochromatic palette in mind. Every floor of the hotel is a different color, with hues ranging from teal to pink. The William also boasts two stellar restaurants, the Shakespeare Dining Room and the Shakespeare Pub; both serve British-inspired fare, with the pub being the less formal of the two.
A minimalist’s paradise, Pod 39 has rooms filled only with the things travelers really need – no oversized furniture or expensive room service here. Although on the smaller side, the brightly colored rooms are by no means drab, and – most importantly – are easy on the wallet. If you need more space to stretch out, head down to the Playroom Lounge to get some work done or squeeze in a game of ping pong. The space is kitted out with an enormous Turkish rug, vintage-style leather furniture and a potted plant-lined wall. But the biggest draw is Pod 39 Rooftop, which serves cocktails and small bites from Salvation Taco in a space that feels more Mexican hacienda than inner-city metropolitan.
Named for the architect of NYC’s iconic St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Renwick Hotel is in a 1920s brick building that was once the residence of famous writers such as John Steinbeck and F. Scott Fitzgerald. Every one of its 173 loft-style rooms is stocked with bath products from C.O. Bigelow, and the blackout curtains promise a good night’s sleep. The Renwick’s on-site restaurant, Bedford & Co., showcases regional dishes prepared over a wood-burning open grill.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.