This year marks the one time every seven years when the Fourth of July falls on a Wednesday. That means you’re either off on a five-day weekend or you’re shivering under your office’s dripping air conditioner for most of the week.
For those cursing the calendar and their teeny, grill-lacking apartment, you’re in luck: There are plenty of venues around New York City hosting Fourth of July-themed food and drink specials. These are the best places to down burgers, drink red, white, and blue cocktails, and even catch a glimpse of those beloved smiley face fireworks.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Given America’s current political climate, you might be on the hunt for ways to give back on Independence Day. Enter Boqueria. The Spanish tapas bar plans to donate ten percent of the proceeds from its red-, white-, and blue-sprinkled churro sundae sales to RAICES (the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services). The organization helps unite separated immigrant children with their families.
Take the A train all the way to the Rockaways for a hint of salty air and to stick your toes in the sand. Bungalow Bar is a waterfront bar, and to commemorate Independence Day, it’s offering a red, white, and blue frozen slushie. Grab a drink (or two), soak up the view, and dance all night with the live DJ.
There certainly won’t be buildings blocking your view of the fireworks 100 floors up at One World Observatory. Atop Manhattan’s tallest building, festivities begin at 8pm with a two-hour open bar and all-American foods like hot dogs and pretzels. Get your tickets here.
Post up at Tacocina, Danny Meyer’s newest Mexican venture at the recently remodeled Domino Park. For $100 per person, you’ll be rewarded with unlimited food and drinks for four hours (think margaritas, rosé, chips & guac, and a slew of tacos), plus an unparalleled view of the East River fireworks. Buy tickets here.
If you’re not into the whole barbecue thing, you can level up at Brooklyn Cider House’s pig roast in Bushwick. From 12-5pm, feast on roast suckling pig sandwiches, house-made cider, beer, and frozen drinks. Eating will take place on the outdoor deck, accompanied by music and games.
Head to Drexler’s for a free (yes, free!) Fourth of July barbecue. All you have to do is buy a Jack Daniels cocktail, and in return you’ll be provided with either a free hot dog or a slider. The more drinks you buy, the more meat you’ll get. The party starts at 4pm on July 4, with happy hour specials lasting all night.
Since 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge opened in 2017, it has consistently delivered some of the most interesting hotel art around. The stylish, eco-conscious hotel tapped local artists to create works inspired by Brooklyn Bridge’s surrounding waterfront area. An avalanche of obsidian rocks tied with hand-dyed rope, a nod to the nearby docks, and a living plant wall are among the hotel’s inventive works highlighting Brooklyn’s nature.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.